Rotating Magazines to relive spring tension

I would like to get an opinion on rotating full magazines to relive spring tension.

I have gotten into the habit of emptying loaded mags periodically and reloading empty mags.

to relive the tension on the Mag springs. Give them a rest so to speak.

Is this a good practice or unnecessary?

Un-necessary

The action of working the springs over and over will actually wear them out faster than just leaving them loaded.

Some say to not load them to capacity... like 25 in a 30 rounder... or the like... but again, there are mixed views on the necessity of that as well... most would say needless as well.

Load em, leave em.

Are you talking about all mags? rifle mags? S12 mags? Just remember that an S12 mag inserted on a closed bolt might give you top round deformation over time.

I also had a 30 round AK mag that was loaded for a long time... when I went to shoot it two days ago, it would jam every time it tried to strip a round off the left side... for some reason something was hanging up those rounds... I took them out they seemed to be kinda gummy, and there was a touch of corrosion on the inside feed lip on the left side... so while the spring was not an issue... there may be OTHER FACTORS to consider when leaving a mag loaded for an extended period of time.

Other than that, as far as spring tension goes... as above... NO WORRIES! :up:

:smoke:

Un-necessary

The action of working the springs over and over will actually wear them out faster than just leaving them loaded.

Some say to not load them to capacity... like 25 in a 30 rounder... or the like... but again, there are mixed views on the necessity of that as well... most would say needless as well.

Load em, leave em.

Are you talking about all mags? rifle mags? S12 mags? Just remember that an S12 mag inserted on a closed bolt might give you top round deformation over time.

I also had a 30 round AK mag that was loaded for a long time... when I went to shoot it two days ago, it would jam every time it tried to strip a round off the left side... for some reason something was hanging up those rounds... I took them out they seemed to be kinda gummy, and there was a touch of corrosion on the inside feed lip on the left side... so while the spring was not an issue... there may be OTHER FACTORS to consider when leaving a mag loaded for an extended period of time.

Other than that, as far as spring tension goes... as above... NO WORRIES! :up:

:smoke:

Thanks for the input.

I have only been doing this on my primary SD weapons. S12 for HD and Glock 27 for CC.

I have a few mags for the each. I have heard various opinions on this and wanted to ask some experts in the field.

Thanks again for the reply.

I switch my mags once a month for my carry gun, been told since i have been handling them to do so, haven't noticed much wear, i did it on my browning HP i sold, the original mag shot (1975) as good as the new mags and i rotated it. SO, its probably good to do it, but i guess it depends on the quality of the mag to begin with. i dunno, i just ramble.... :ded:

Edited by Vultite

This myth was brought to us by the shi**y AR15 mags, which have feed lips that may deform if left loaded to capacity, OR (from the Vietnam era) weak springs which may not be able to handle being loaded to full capacity.

You can keep your AK mags loaded to capacity all you like, w/o any ill effects.