Man, I'm so confused with this 922R law..help!

Read and went to that site that had to check boxes.. Not sure if i'm understanding it correctly.. So the saiga 308 in it's original configuration is 922r compliant, right? or is it not and our job is to removed at least 4 imported parts and use us parts? If it comes illegal in the beginning, why even sell it to us? Okay, now what if all I did was added:

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Saiga/S...ail+Scope+Mount

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/Rifles/Saiga/S...letonized+Stock

Would my gun still be 922R compliant? legal? I would have to replace 6 other foreign parts to be compliant, eh? Damn confusing..

Overall,

This is like saying, "Help our economy and not theirs" US seems to have this thing with foreign quality. I.E. Honda > Ford. Imagine everytime buying a Honda and we have to swap out japanese parts with american parts so we can drive it legally. Omg, car won't last past 50k miles... We're basically buying this gun and swapping out parts before actually being able to use it...retarded...lol! Hope the quality in the us gun saiga parts are just as good as its original parts.

EDITED: oops.. didn't know there was a specific forum dedicated to this 922r laws.. Do post answers here if you feel like it...

Edited by soulless

Your links don't work for me but I'll try to help.

The gun is perfectly legal as imported since it is a "sporting weapon". If it is modified to become "non-sporting" then you must comply with 922r.

Non-sporting features are pistol grips, "hi-cap" mags, and muzzle devices. If you add any of these thaen 922r applies.

Read and went to that site that had to check boxes.. Not sure if i'm understanding it correctly.. So the saiga 308 in it's original configuration is 922r compliant, right? or is it not and our job is to removed at least 4 imported parts and use us parts? If it comes illegal in the beginning, why even sell it to us? Okay, now what if all I did was added:

It's legal as imported, as long as you don't use magazines that can hold more than ten rounds.

I can't get your links to work, but adding a scope and mount does not effect 922r compliance, nor does the skeleton stock.

Would my gun still be 922R compliant? legal? I would have to replace 6 other foreign parts to be compliant, eh? Damn confusing..

The rifle is imported with 14 922r parts, so replacing 4 would allow the use of magazines that can hold more than ten rounds. If you stick with Surefires, that would take care of 3 of the parts. Change the gas piston and no more would be required for 922r.

We're basically buying this gun and swapping out parts before actually being able to use it...retarded...lol! Hope the quality in the us gun saiga parts are just as good as its original parts.

No, as long as you use the gun as imported (and stick to magazines that can hold ten rounds or less), you don't have to change anything.

I dont like reling on mags for comply make your gun comply its easy

FCG=3 PG=1 Butt stock =1 IF barrel threaded MD =1

The Saigas are not imported with a pistol grip, so adding a US made pistol grip does nothing to help with compliance (adding a foreign pistol grip will actually add another foreign 922r part and take you farther from compliance).

Also, I don't believe any Saiga .308's are imported with threaded barrels (only some of the shotguns are).

Edited by cma g21
The scope mount is unrelated to 922r.

The Skeleton stock is not counted, as CMA said above, since they are imported in that configuration.

but isn't the RAA stock a non-US part? omg, i feel so stupid.. i am not understanding this correctly at all.. so even with the RAA stock, my gun is still legal...????

It's legal as imported, as long as you don't use magazines that can hold more than ten rounds.

I can't get your links to work, but adding a scope and mount does not effect 922r compliance, nor does the skeleton stock.

The rifle is imported with 14 922r parts, so replacing 4 would allow the use of magazines that can hold more than ten rounds. If you stick with Surefires, that would take care of 3 of the parts. Change the gas piston and no more would be required for 922r.

We're basically buying this gun and swapping out parts before actually being able to use it...retarded...lol! Hope the quality in the us gun saiga parts are just as good as its original parts.

No, as long as you use the gun as imported (and stick to magazines that can hold ten rounds or less), you don't have to change anything.

i guess one of the confusing part is, when i checked out that site that has the checked boxes and you uncheck the parts to make it legal. It starts out with foreign 14 parts = illegal on the bottom of that site.. So since the saiga 308 comes imported with 14 foreign parts, it would be illegal then... yet still be able to use it in it's original imported configuration????

i'm giving u guys a headache.. sorry

i guess one of the confusing part is, when i checked out that site that has the checked boxes and you uncheck the parts to make it legal. It starts out with foreign 14 parts = illegal on the bottom of that site.. So since the saiga 308 comes imported with 14 foreign parts, it would be illegal then... yet still be able to use it in it's original imported configuration????

No, it would not be illegal as it does not have any (well, just 1) naughty parts. The 922r parts count game ONLY comes into play when you have MORE THAN ONE prohibited part (P-grip, muzzle device, high-cap mag, detachable mag, bayonet lug, etc...)

As imported, the Saiga only has a detachable mag, so it's a "sport" gun. You add any of the other naughty items, you gotta start counting parts.

It not 'illegal' until you change something.

Saigas are imported in 'Sporting' configuration (as determined by the BATFE). 922r does not apply to 'Sporting' rifles, so the parts list is not applied.

Now (again as determined by the BATFE), adding certain features to the imported rifle renders it unimportable (so 922r now applies). For example, adding a pistol grip and/or magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds (5 for shotguns) causes 922r to apply.

If you want to use a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds or add a pistol grip, then 922r would apply, and your foreign 922r parts count must be 10 or less. Use it as imported, and it's 'legal'.

Edited by cma g21

Don't feel bad, it's been confusing people for years.

Greatmoose, I'm not sure what you mean by "more than one" part. If you add any one of the parts: hicap mag, pistol grip or muzzle device you make the gun non-sporting and 922r applies.

I believe the verbage (I could be wrong) was something to the effect of "922r applies when a firearm has two or more of the following...", meaning any ONE of the items is OK (in this case, detachable lo-cap mags). That's all I meant. I hate this stupid law.

Edited by greatmoose
Now (again as determined by the BATFE), adding certain features to the imported rifle renders it unimportable (so 922r now applies). For example, adding a pistol grip and/or magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds (5 for shotguns) causes 922r to apply.

Why do I care what the ATF has to say about whether or not I can import a rifle I already own and purchased here in the US? The importing was done by someone else before I ever had anything to do with the rifle.

If 922r only addresses the importability of a rifle then why should I (an end consumer) care about import laws.

Maybe if I took my rifle out of the country and tried to bring it back in again there would be an issue, but I don't see how 922r applies to mere possession and use of any firearm.

Now, when I read 922r I see a lot of references to assembly, but no references to possession or use. Does simply placing a magazine into your magazine well constitute "assembly"? How about the conversion process so many of us put our rifles through? Is that legally considered "assembly" or is it simple modification?

Just to clarify, I have plenty of US parts on all my rifles so I'm not worried one way or the other. However I do think that somewhere along the line someone got it into their head that this all applies to end-users and now we all get worked up and confused for no reason.

Edited by dftc
Why do I care what the ATF has to say about whether or not I can import a rifle I already own and purchased here in the US? The importing was done by someone else before I ever had anything to do with the rifle.

If 922r only addresses the importability of a rifle then why should I (an end consumer) care about import laws.

You misunderstand the law, which is not uncommon. Here's a link to the whole thing: US CODE TITLE 18, 922

Actually, I think I understand it pretty well now. (I was just reading up on a bunch of ATF rulings).

I still don't see how putting a 30 round mag into a stock Saiga violates the law in any way, unless the simple act of placing a mag into the rifle is considered "assembly". I did a lot of looking and couldn't find a BATFE definition of "assembly" as it applies to firearms. There are definitions of "manufacture", but the way the law is worded it is clear that "assembly" and "manufacture" are considered separate concepts.

The Saiga rifle was built with the intention of allowing magazines to be routinely inserted and removed, and in fact necessary during the regular use of the rifle for it to function as intended. I don't see how the act using the rifle in it's intended way could be considered "assembly".

Now in my previous post I questioned whether the conversion process applies and I now believe that it probably does, primarily because it involves some drilling and possibly other permanent modification to the rifle.

However, If I were to buy a converted rifle from someone else and it later turned out to have an incorrect parts count, I don't think that I would have any legal liability because I didn't do any assembly myself. Possession and use is not addressed in 922r in any way, only manufacturing and assembly.

It seems to me that 922r is aimed squarely at kit builders. As such it probably also applies to people who convert Saigas, but not to people who simply possess and use them.

Of course it may take a court case to clear this up. Has anyone ever actually had their Saiga rifle inspected by the feds? Has any end-user been arrested for a violation of this law? I'm not talking about manufacturers, but about people who modify their rifles for their own personal use.

Edited by dftc
Actually, I think I understand it pretty well now. (I was just reading up on a bunch of ATF rulings).

I still don't see how putting a 30 round mag into a stock Saiga violates the law in any way, unless the simple act of placing a mag into the rifle is considered "assembly". I did a lot of looking and couldn't find a BATFE definition of "assembly" as it applies to firearms. There are definitions of "manufacture", but the way the law is worded it is clear that "assembly" and "manufacture" are considered separate concepts.

The Saiga rifle was built with the intention of allowing magazines to be routinely inserted and removed, and in fact necessary during the regular use of the rifle for it to function as intended. I don't see how the act using the rifle in it's intended way could be considered "assembly".

By inserting a 30rnd mag into a sporting Saiga you have in fact assembled an assault rifle, since the mag capacity makes the gun non-sporting.

There are lots of discussions over the semantics of "assemble" and "manufacture", but the ATF takes a narrow view, generally speaking. For instance, if you SBR your gun you must engrave your name on it. You have legally "become" the manufacturer of the weapon, and 922r no longer applies since it is no longer an "imported" weapon, even though you may have changed ZERO parts.

Every person must assess his own risk management. Some people ignore 922r, just as some ignore other laws. Personally I wouldn't do it.

I believe the verbage (I could be wrong) was something to the effect of "922r applies when a firearm has two or more of the following...", meaning any ONE of the items is OK (in this case, detachable lo-cap mags). That's all I meant. I hate this stupid law.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Greatmoose, you're right*. But the Saiga already comes with one of those 'evil' features, a detachable magazine.

A detachable magazine (of any capacity) is one of those 'evil' features. A magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds (5 for a shotgun) is another 'evil' feature. So as an example, a detachable 30 round magazine would be 2 'evil' features (and 922r would apply). Another example, a Saiga rifle with the Tapco Intrafuse would have 2 of those 'evil' features (a pistol grip + detachable magazine) with a 10 round magazine, or 3 if a 30 round magazine is used (either way 922r applies).

* - As a rule of thumb, but the BATFE claims to judge each firearm submitted for import on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by cma g21

Maybe if I took my rifle out of the country and tried to bring it back in again there would be an issue, but I don't see how 922r applies to mere possession and use of any firearm.

Now, when I read 922r I see a lot of references to assembly, but no references to possession or use. Does simply placing a magazine into your magazine well constitute "assembly"? How about the conversion process so many of us put our rifles through? Is that legally considered "assembly" or is it simple modification?

Just to clarify, I have plenty of US parts on all my rifles so I'm not worried one way or the other. However I do think that somewhere along the line someone got it into their head that this all applies to end-users and now we all get worked up and confused for no reason.

I agree with dftc, this rule is for people who import into US, not end users, What you will find is people who make a living selling parts trying to control people with fear since it helps sell product.

Good luck finding a citizen getting in trouble for common sense modifications like High cap. mag.

I did mine conversion counting items as suggested

Sorry guys, brand new to this and have read through the various 922r threads. Just want to clarify an issue. My Saiga .308 came with the skeletonized stock and pistol grip. The grip I understand to be a "naughty part." If I dont exceed a 10 round magazine in my rifle then am I compliant, right?

I intend to do some upgrades with U.S. parts later but want to clarify I comply in the interim if I dont exceed the 10 round magazine rule.

Sorry guys, brand new to this and have read through the various 922r threads. Just want to clarify an issue. My Saiga .308 came with the skeletonized stock and pistol grip. The grip I understand to be a "naughty part." If I dont exceed a 10 round magazine in my rifle then am I compliant, right?

I intend to do some upgrades with U.S. parts later but want to clarify I comply in the interim if I dont exceed the 10 round magazine rule.

If it came that way from the factory (with the thumbhole stock), it's fine with the 10 rounder (really, 8 rounds) magazine. To use a hi-cap mag (more than 10), you'll need to convert (or use US furniture and mags, sort of an iffy proposition).

I have experience with firearms manufacture and the ATF Tech Dept.

They maintain:

1) Assembly, refinishing, etc. = Manufacture period; i.e. if you park it you manufactured it and MUST have an FFL 07 if you do it for others since you are 'engaged in the business'.

2) 922® ONLY applies to the assembly of a long gun NOT posession.

3) Posession is NOT ifto facto assembly, and if it came with hicap mags then simply placing them into the firearms mag well is NOT assembly.

4) The LOCAL ATF branch has juristiction on this and MAY deside to investigate "who?" assembled it, but this has NEVER happened to date.