Gas regulator plug

I just recieved a 19in 3 hole saiga. All port holes are visible. Out of the box, I noticed that the gas regulator plug was backed off one complete revolution and on the #1 position. Should this plug be tightened all the way. When it is tightened all the way it ends on the #1 position. Is there a reason for it to be backed off one thread? Should I tighten it all the way to engage #1 for 3in shells and #2 for 2 3/4in shells? I have not fired it yet. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Going by the book, screw the regualtor ALL the way in. When you start backing it out, the setting that it comes to first is the correct number for that setting, e.g. if #1 comes up first that is the correct position for #1, and backing it out further would then come to the correct position for #2.

something that helps "visualize" is to remove the plug totally and then hold it next to the hole at pos 1 and then pos 2 you can see that pos 1 covers more and pos 2 lets more gas in.

less gas needed for high brass thus setting 1.

PS I learned this on this board. I forget who, so whoever you are thanks.

Leave it like it is and try it 1st, I have one that runs right like that, but when I screwed it in it had troubles.

Same here,my older S-12 needs that extra revolution to function correctly.When screwed tight it just barely engages the tab and wont cycle correctly.

There have been some guns that have the clearance port in the gas block closer to the front than most. When the plug is turned all the way in on these guns, it completely blocks off the port and then some, so when it's set correctly, the gun still won't work. Backing out the plug another turn uncovers the port.

There have been some guns that have the clearance port in the gas block closer to the front than most. When the plug is turned all the way in on these guns, it completely blocks off the port and then some, so when it's set correctly, the gun still won't work. Backing out the plug another turn uncovers the port.

+1 i have my saiga pulled apart for a conversion and have observed this