Saiga 12 Sights - Soliciting Input from the Pros

Hey guys,

I am considering putting an AK style front sight block and rear leaf sight on my Saiga 12. I wanted to an opinion from the pros on the forum about the best way to mount it. It looks like there's a little dovetail that the standard rear sight fits into...so I'm assuming I could just tap it out with a punch. So I have three questions:

1) Is there a standard Ak type rear sight that I could mount in that dovetail, or is this something that I'm going to need to weld/JB weld onto the RSB?

2) What FSB would work the best if I mounted the rear sight this way?

3) Is it better to go with the Krebs sights? They look like they would fit in that little groove.

Thanks!

-MoF

If you want true AK style sights on the front and rear, the easiest way to do it is check on dinzag's website. He has some sets he sells that can be mounted by the average person. It's a lot of work to cut the real AK RSB down to where it will fit the Saiga "trunnion", for lack of a better word.

To my knowledge, I was the first to do that, and it's a job. Then you have to weld it on there and get it right. For my front sight, used a Romy AK sight and cut it off just below the detent pin for the brake. Then got it welded to a barrel hoop that was made to fit exactly around my S-12 barrel. I had to make it tall enough to work with my wood AK upper HG. It's all doable, and has been done by several of our members now, but it's a lot of work. Dinzag's kits are worth it.

Here's a few pics of mine...

post-1293-1234850487_thumb.jpg post-1293-1234850501_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1234850558_thumb.jpg post-1293-1234850573_thumb.jpg

Now another option, a MUCH easier one, is the Krebs sights. They look and work great, and will install in minutes. The rear sight is made for your dovetail, and the front clamps right on the barrel. They use an AR-15 front sight post, so you can take advantage of all the optional AR sights out there. The rear ghost ring has a removable aperture for finer aiming when shooting slugs.

Hey guys,

I am considering putting an AK style front sight block and rear leaf sight on my Saiga 12. I wanted to an opinion from the pros on the forum about the best way to mount it. It looks like there's a little dovetail that the standard rear sight fits into...so I'm assuming I could just tap it out with a punch. So I have three questions:

1) Is there a standard Ak type rear sight that I could mount in that dovetail, or is this something that I'm going to need to weld/JB weld onto the RSB?

2) What FSB would work the best if I mounted the rear sight this way?

3) Is it better to go with the Krebs sights? They look like they would fit in that little groove.

Thanks!

-MoF

I just welded on a set of HK g-3 sights. I welded the sight base to the receiver cover. and opened up the triple ring front sight base. got them straight and got it done. Waiting to get it finished then range test. I am feeling good about windage but fear the elevation. The others I have seen have the HK rear welded on to cover without the base. Mildly concerned mine will shoot way high and will have to fab a new front sight to reach up to it.... range report to follow.

I really like my krebs, but i can't speak for any other sighting setup.

Getting that dovetail setup will require you to hit your gun harder than you think it should. I used a 22oz estwing and a bronze drift. Gun in a vice shielded by some old leather gloves and the only real issue was getting it sighted back in after it was all done. I can get a 4" group with slugs unsuported in the standing with my S-12 now at 30-35 yards or so. I'm sure if i was taking my time a bit more, or supporting myself off something i could get a much better group, but really that is about the most practical excersize i can think of for either hunting in dense forest, or self defense. A 4" group on somethings chest with slugs will do the job :up:

The setup is still rather new to me, and i'm looking foward to seeing how well it patterns with some shot yet going through a poly choke. The above results were through the poly choke with it on the slug setting so i'm hopefull.