Internal vs External Receiver Block

The external one hangs out the rear of the receiver and uses the tang for retention.

The tang is cut with the internal and most of the stock mounting block is inside the receiver.

Most people prefer the looks of the internal, but some people prefer not to cut off their tang. That is it. Name your poison.

The main reason I'm thinking of going with an external block is to:

1: Allow the stock to fold with a drum in place.....

post-1293-1227540191_thumb.jpg

2: Keep the tang in case I ever want to go back to a solid stock later.

3: Because of Michigan's stupid law, if the OAL of a firearm is under 30", you have to register it as a handgun. The external block puts it just over that.

I personally like the look of an ACE side folder with an internal block or a TROMIX back plate. However, I DON'T want to have to register my Saiga as a handgun, so I'll probably go with the external block.

Corbin

The main reason I'm thinking of going with an external block is to:

1: Allow the stock to fold with a drum in place.....

post-1293-1227540191_thumb.jpg

2: Keep the tang in case I ever want to go back to a solid stock later.

3: Because of Michigan's stupid law, if the OAL of a firearm is under 30", you have to register it as a handgun. The external block puts it just over that.

I personally like the look of an ACE side folder with an internal block or a TROMIX back plate. However, I DON'T want to have to register my Saiga as a handgun, so I'll probably go with the external block.

Corbin

Corbin,

Who makes the handguard and gas tube cover with rail? Looks like what I want to do with mine.

Thanks

Eric

Cobra does the rail and cover. You can see the cover here and the rail here.

The handguard is from Tromix I believe.

As Bob mentioned, you can get a long trigger pull with an external block, though I imagine if you went with a shorter entry length stock, it would be about the same. Not sure though. You need the shorter stock in order to be able to fold it with a drum in place.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin