mags for Romanian .223?

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and new to the world of Saigas. My problem is that I bought a Romanian .223 with a 30rd mag. Now I'm having problems finding replacement mags. There are several mags available, but they are all too wide to fit the rifle. I bought some of the pro-mag polymer mags that i intend to file the sides down to fit nicely, but I'd prefer to get mags that already fit correctly.

I've performed a search on ths site here and lots of folks say they have found bulgy mags and such, but they all talk about conversions and bullet guides niether of which I know anything about.

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated. I can read so even if you only have time to reply saying "read this book" or what-have-you would be terriffic.

Thanks in advance for any help

I hate to break this to you, but the (urgh) Pro-Mags are probably gonna be the most cost effective option. . .

You can use Bulgarian 5.56x45 military waffle mags, but you'll have to cut them to fit (more info on request) which is something most folks dont' want to do with a high dollar magazine.

Please don't use AK74 mags. They'll fit, but aren't reliable as they were made for bottlenecked 5.45x39 cartridges (not straight walled .223 rounds).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, y'all! I knew this smart bunch of folks could help!

I tried my adapter on my SAR 1(I don't have a SAR 3) and it would fit it the same as the Saiga. I don't think there would be a difference in the receiver layout between the two. The parts will be different for the caliber difference, but the layout should be the same.

i would like more info on cutting the bulgy mags.

When you buy a Bulgarian 5.56 mag and fit it into the mag well, you'll see where it impinges on the center support.

The back corners will need to be relieved so the mag will fit.

I tried my adapter on my SAR 1(I don't have a SAR 3) and it would fit it the same as the Saiga. I don't think there would be a difference in the receiver layout between the two. The parts will be different for the caliber difference, but the layout should be the same.

Hey, Texascubfan - If a quality AR mag adapter will fit (don't know from personal experience whether it will or not), that might be your most cost effective way to go (plus it could help your US 'compliance' parts count w/ US mags, and save you the cost of a feed ramp), if you're buying more than just one or two mags. Check with 'renegadebuck,' he's designed AR mag adapters for the Saiga, and he's a straight shooter (which is in some ways more important ;>).

IMHO...

there is a diffrence is the mag well on a 7.62 to a 5.45/5.56. the 7.62 mag well is wider and the 5.45/5.56 is thiner and a hair longer. muttman2