Converted & Refinished my S12 yesterday - Question on Moly Resin

So I had a S12 build party yesterday and our first conversion of the S12 went great.

We refinished the unit as required with Moly Resin:

• Blasted
  • Wiped down with MEK
  • Preheat to 150
  • Paint light coats (tried to keep parts warm)
  • Baked at 300 for 1 hour

My questions:

1. When I oiled it last night I noticed some pigment get on the rag - a fair amount. Is this normal?
  2. There are two places I'd like to touch up - can I clean with MEK then simply respray and bake?

Thanks!

logoredcopydw0.jpg

Edited by Shadowboxer

OK - update;

After taking Mpro 7 to the finish almost no paint pigment came off.

Also, I accidentally scratched a small part of the receiver with a screwdriver when it slipped and it scraped the Moly off. Is that normal or did it not cure hard enough?

Thanks guys!

So I had a S12 build party yesterday and our first conversion of the S12 went great.

We refinished the unit as required with Moly Resin:

• Blasted
  • Wiped down with MEK
  • Preheat to 150
  • Paint light coats (tried to keep parts warm)
  • Baked at 300 for 1 hour

My questions:

1. When I oiled it last night I noticed some pigment get on the rag - a fair amount. Is this normal?
  2. There are two places I'd like to touch up - can I clean with MEK then simply respray and bake?

Thanks!

logoredcopydw0.jpg

Edited by Shadowboxer

If the finish is coming off, there was most likely a problem with your blasting operation. If you blasted the gun with glass beads, that won't work worth a fuck. The finish won't stick, and you'll have to start over. You need to blast it with aluminum oxide.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I used aluminum oxide. The finish on my second wipe down it seems the finish is NOT coming off.

Can I apply another coat and rebake for added protection?

If the finish is coming off, there was most likely a problem with your blasting operation. If you blasted the gun with glass beads, that won't work worth a fuck. The finish won't stick, and you'll have to start over. You need to blast it with aluminum oxide.

Tony

If your MolyResin is cured properly, EVEN MEK shouldn't effect it. Before curing-yes, after fully cured it's tough as nails. Maybe the loose stuff was dry overspray? You should be able to re-spray after removing any oil residue.

Tony

I was not aware of this...

good info :up:

John Norrell needs to change his website on that issue. When I first got his coating, I read the directions about using aluminum oxide, but I figured, what the fuck, glass beads should work OK. Maybe not 100%, but at least good enough. Nope. Wrong. Glass bead blasting doesn't work at ALLl. Not sorta, not kinda, not good enough for a valley bitch, nothing. Moly Resin is completely fucking worthless if you shoot it over a glass bead finish. Shot over an AO blast, it's fantastic.

Tony

John Norrell needs to change his website on that issue. When I first got his coating, I read the directions about using aluminum oxide, but I figured, what the fuck, glass beads should work OK. Maybe not 100%, but at least good enough. Nope. Wrong. Glass bead blasting doesn't work at ALLl. Not sorta, not kinda, not good enough for a valley bitch, nothing. Moly Resin is completely fucking worthless if you shoot it over a glass bead finish. Shot over an AO blast, it's fantastic.

Tony

If you lay a parkerized base......will it matter whether it's glass or AO beads?

If you lay a parkerized base......will it matter whether it's glass or AO beads?

Park over a glass bead surface still won't be rough enough. Everyone says AO is best but I blast with sand.

Edited by WadeP

I degrease, blast, degrease again with MEK just before shooting finish (I hose down with MEK in a door jam style spray gun on the second degrease). If you look at this pic, the bolt carrier was polished with glass bead (smooth sheen), the gun was blasted w/ 70 grit Aulm Oxide and finished w/ Flat (SOCOM) Black MolyResin.

post-1866-1236729528_thumb.jpg