Let's talk bolt guns... Howa 1500 .308

I saw a Howa .308 at the gun store the other day, it had a rubberized green Hogue stock on it. It felt really good, seemed super sturdy. After doing a bit of research I'm pretty sure it was a 1500.

The gun caught my eye because the price tag was only $499, which I thought was decent for a sturdy bolt gun. I've been thinking about picking up a bolt gun, and figured I'd get a .308 because I already have a bunch of ammo and don't really want to start collecting other calibers at this point in time.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand, and if so, what are your thoughts?

My buddy has one... Spent closer to $600.00 on his from Buds Gun Shop online... It has a VERY SHARP looking vented, varmint variant laminated thumbhole stock, with the heavy barrel. He sent the stock back several times as two of the vent holes were cracked in between them... and the first replacement was no better... He put a $700.00 Springfield armory scope on it... It will shoot about an inch group (or less sometimes) at 100 yards. If he gets the hand loads right it will do about 3/4" groups. Give or take a little bit... Thats a 3 shot group... The trigger is acceptable but not the best... If the stock was perfect when he got it, I would rate it a 4 or 4.25 out of 5... because.... ( see below)

Want to hear the real KICK IN THE NUTS??? :lol:

He is a little irritated that after all that hassle with the stock, and the optics on it... and how accurate it is... The $129.00 Walnut K-31 Swiss I sold him, scoped with a 6-24 power Barska optic on it, will outshoot it EVERY TIME! :up: I shit you not!

Go figure...

:smoke:

My buddy has one... Spent closer to $600.00 on his from Buds Gun Shop online... It has a VERY SHARP looking vented, varmint variant laminated thumbhole stock, with the heavy barrel. He sent the stock back several times as two of the vent holes were cracked in between them... and the first replacement was no better... He put a $700.00 Springfield armory scope on it... It will shoot about an inch group (or less sometimes) at 100 yards. If he gets the hand loads right it will do about 3/4" groups. Give or take a little bit... Thats a 3 shot group... The trigger is acceptable but not the best... If the stock was perfect when he got it, I would rate it a 4 or 4.25 out of 5... because.... ( see below)

Want to hear the real KICK IN THE NUTS??? :lol:

He is a little irritated that after all that hassle with the stock, and the optics on it... and how accurate it is... The $129.00 Walnut K-31 Swiss I sold him, scoped with a 6-24 power Barska optic on it, will outshoot it EVERY TIME! :up: I shit you not!

Go figure...

So what do you think, is it worth $500 to get a decent bolt action rifle?

Theres NOTHING wrong with the Howa... it performs very well!

All I am saying is that the specific K-31 I sold my buddy will outshoot it... just a bit of Irony is all... LOL

If I didnt have the Savage FT/R, I would consider the HOWA as well... Its a nice gun for sure...

Well, I bought the thing today. Shot a couple of rounds through it, it didn't kick near as bad as I figured it would. The only other .308 I've ever shot is my saiga, and honestly, I think there's more recoil on the saiga than the bolt gun.