Where are the 5.45s at?

Any one have any intel?

The ammo's been holdin steady at about 150 a case... so it's falling into the category of "do want."

Do you guys know where the Polish Tantal supply wandered to? Or maybe a line on Bulgarians? Arsenals? Anyone? Something?

much appreciated.

The Russians are still "intending to produce" Saiga 5.45 rifles "this year".........not sure if something may have been lost in translation on the part about which year is this year..............I just had to make one using a new 74 barrel on a x39 Saiga myself............VK

Any one have any intel?

The ammo's been holdin steady at about 150 a case... so it's falling into the category of "do want."

Do you guys know where the Polish Tantal supply wandered to? Or maybe a line on Bulgarians? Arsenals? Anyone? Something?

much appreciated.

Agent,

I've got an Arsenal SLR-105 in 5.45 that I used for quite some time in 3-gun competition. It was less than $450 when purchased just after the ban lifted and it is extremely well built and accurate out to 300 meters. The SLR-105 is unfortunately, no longer in production and the prices now can be quite high if you can find one. A friend with a butt-ugly (compared to the SLR-105) Yugo AK-74 clone with a scope, still uses his in matches with surprisingly good results. The 5.45 cal. Yugo's will never win any points for looks, but they shoot well and are still a bargain when found. The Russian 5.45 round can do almost anything the .223 Rem can at shorter distances and is very cheap at today's prices. Be aware that surplus 5.45 (as opposed to Wolf, Golden Tiger or Silver Bear) can be mildly corrosive and must be cleaned accordingly.

I have an SAR, and they are nothing to sniff at.

Way more accurate than I expected, and typical AK, eats everything and poops the cases out the side.

A bit of Krylon, and a set screw thread adapter on the barrel, to add a brake, and its right downtown......

dsc1822.jpg

Oh yeah, the Russian Kobra sight that cost half as much as the gun does help out a bit......

dsc1821.jpg

I had heard that the bores were for a 5.56, and the loose tolorences were allowing the bullets to tumble.

Never did hear about a cure or a recall, only that guys were happy when they got one that didn't have tumbling projectiles.

• 3 weeks later...