The wifey gave me a Henry survival rifle in 22lr, the one that floats, breaks down and stores in the stock, I have put about 200 round threw it, mainly with people or family that I show it to and they say WTF, and NEVER had a problem. The biggest problem for those that don't know what the crap the are looking at or even know how to get it out of the stock , is just that. I showed it to my nephew and when my wife went to pee, he asked my, why did she give me a stock with out the gun, don't go there, the stupid runs on his mothers side, some on ours, but most on hers, but this little booger will drive tacks, and has yet to be cleaned. The whole package is to lite to believe and compact as hell and comes with 2, 10 round mags and will fit in almost any backpack for camping. The second gun in the photo from 6x6pinz looks like the same thing. It's not meant to be an everyday shooter, but with CCI stingers, is pretty bad ass.

I'm really thinking about getting a compact 10/22 and cutting back the front of the stock a bit to where I could break it down alot like the Papoose. I love my 10/22. Having a hell of a time deciding what to get. I hate to think about dropping around 500 bucks on the M6. Does anybody know if you can cut the synthetic stock on the Ruger without damaging the rest of the stock somehow?

Edited by superA
The second gun in the photo from 6x6pinz looks like the same thing

The only difference is that it is a Charter Arms AR7 not a henry. There is a henry in the photo and that would be the lever action. I have had one of my AR7's since the early 80's and it has performed excellent for me. I have taken it on some really long canoe trips and many backpack trips. I have used it to provide many rabbits for meals on these trips even though they were not real survival conditions it was nice to have it with me to take advantage of the opportunities.

As with all autoloading firearms I still think that 90% of the time feeding issues are related to the magazines. We have found a bunch of the henry mags have the magazine catch hole cut too high which does not allow the magazine to fully seat high enough into the receiver. A little weld and grind on the magazine and they become as reliable as any other semi auto 22.

• 7 months later...

The AR-7 is the first gun I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 and the last time I shot it I was shocked at how reliable it was. It took years and heartache to get this thing serviceable. I remember having a hell of a time with it and that left a bad taste in my mouth for autos. To this day I'm a revolver man at heart though the reliability of an AK (and hence Saiga) has renewed my faith auto-loaders.

I have had a Charter Arms AR-7 for many years. This is a STONER design, and like all of his crap it needs to be CLEAN and is ammo and mag sensitive. That said it reliable with most ammo and a good mag, and 100% reliable (or as close as rim-fire will get) with CCI stingers and a good mag, and a clean gun. NEVER mix manufacturers mags, as they are just different enough to screw things up!

The AR-7 is a gun with no equal, since it stores in the stock and FLOATS, it is perfect for the John boat or under the seat of the truck. When you put it away, use a thin film of of 'dielectric compound' (or electric grease), on the sealing surface of the but cap, and make sure the gun is CLEAN and lightly lubed. This will keep it dust, dirt and corrosion free, and even after extended storage in the back pack, under the truck seat or banging around in the john boat it will work. This is no target rifle, but it is what it is. A gun to have where you would not normally have a gun, or did not have the space for a gun, or since it disassembles and goes together quickly, where an assembled gun would be a legal liability. (parks?)