Anybody had any experience with these? I'm looking to get a 22 for backpacking and am looking at these, the Springfield M6 and a 22 revolver. Any input will be viewed objectively and then torn apart by the others on this forum. Thanks much. :D

Anybody had any experience with these? I'm looking to get a 22 for backpacking and am looking at these, the Springfield M6 and a 22 revolver. Any input will be viewed objectively and then torn apart by the others on this forum. Thanks much. :D

:haha:

I don't have experience with the newest manufactured AR7s but when I was a kit I had one of the old green ones and it didn't run worth crap so I proceeded to do everything I had ever read about to make one function.I filed the feedramp,deburred the extractor,bent the ejector so it didn't rub and by the time I was done it was the most reliable 22 auto I have owned to date.

I have heard that the new ones have vastly improved quality control compared to the originals.

I don't have experience with the newest manufactured AR7s but when I was a kit I had one of the old green ones and it didn't run worth crap so I proceeded to do everything I had ever read about to make one function.I filed the feedramp,deburred the extractor,bent the ejector so it didn't rub and by the time I was done it was the most reliable 22 auto I have owned to date.

I have heard that the new ones have vastly improved quality control compared to the originals.

Did you think it was do bulky to be a dedicated backpack gun?

I have two of the AR7 rifles and one of the Explorer 2 pistols. They work flawlessly and have for many years. I have had to replace the bolt and barrel in one of them as it wore out at approx. 60k rounds. I used the ramline 25 round magazines to the point that the follower won't stay in the mag housing anymore, they still function though. Both rifles and pistol are charter arms from the very early 80's. A friend of mine has a charter arms from the later 80's and it needs the magazine bottom shimmed forward to work perfectly.

Here one of my AR7's can be seen after a good day squirrel hunting with it.

100_0244.jpg

Did you think it was do bulky to be a dedicated backpack gun?

Not really because I always had it with me to plink at snapping turtles and snakes not just sitting there "just in case".I had a couple of 25rd mags for it and couldn't wait to get out somewhere and burn through 1/2 a brick of 22 shooting at everything from pine cones to possums.I also carried an HR Sportsman break top 22lr revolver so I guess for me shooting was part of camping because once I got my tent setup and my gear racked out it was time to shoot,LOL

My Henry AR7 was complete crap and kept jamming and going full auto! Even the President of Henry couldn't fix them!!! The Papoose was a jam-o-matic too. I had the Stainless/synthetic one. I am currently fighting with a Feather AT-22 take down rifle at my gunsmiths.....

My Springfield M6 is awesome.

Edited by THE_HUNTER

Years ago I had a Charter Arms AR-7 and was not satisfied with it for the survival role that I had in mind for it. I sold it and purchased a Marlin 39 Takedown and have never looked back. IMO the Marlin 39 Takedown is one of the finest survival style .22LR rifles available. YMMV but I have been satisfied these many years. As a note, it is still pristine as I have never had to survive with it as of yet. :) I keep three boxes of assorted ammo in it's case and have hauled it on private plane, boat, SUV, and so on. Might be OK for backpacking but I never did as I carry a pistol for that role.

Pistol is definitely easier to deal with and if you have a CCW permit, will keep you out of hot water with the law. My picks for pistols are:

Ruger Mark II

Ruger Single Six

H&R long barreled 922

Taurus PT22 {for ultra-pocket size}

Rifles:

Browning take down .22 (if you can find one, the Belgium one is best, but a collectors gun now)

Taurus pump action .22LR or Mag

Springfield M6

These are the ones I can vouch for. Many unmentioned ones I have not dealt with. I will NEVER own another Papoose or AR7 EVER. Nightmares are made of the jams I had......

I've got a Marlin Papoose, and I love it! It was my first gun, and still one of my favorites! It doesn't like slow (read: cheapo) ammo, CCI Stingers are its favorite, but it may need new springs or something. I have a scope on it, and it loses zero by 2 or 3 moa when I remove the barrel, so I'm always sighting it in every time I hit the range, which gets a bit old, but it's not that bad.

Hope that sheds some light,

Acer

Thanks for all the replies. I just want something fairly lightweight and durable, accurate out to 50 yards and something I can leave in my pack and not notice it's there.. I'm definitely leaning towards the M6 or a revolver. I have heard to many mixed replies about the papoose and AR7. I love the fact that the M6 has the .410 for quick shots at a scampering squirrel or rabbit. They are pricey though. Does anybody know if they fold up even with an optic on top?

I'd stay away from the Sub 2k in .40, the gun's only designed for 9mm, and .40 hammers it to death, from what I've heard.

Fwiw, I have the wooden stock Marlin..

Remember, this message was free... and it's only worth what you paid for it...

Acer

I'd stay away from the Sub 2k in .40, the gun's only designed for 9mm, and .40 hammers it to death, from what I've heard.

Fwiw, I have the wooden stock Marlin..

Remember, this message was free... and it's only worth what you paid for it...

Acer

Yeah I will be going with 22lr for sure.

My AR-7 is an old green camo charter arms, and it has always worked flawlessly.

Ammo is a consideration in any semi 22, stay with CCI and you are probably safer.

I saw a couple Ram lines, on gunbroker, and they were asking over 80 bucks for them.

I have two pre ban, that run great, and my email to Ramline confirmed they are not going to manufacture them again.

As for the M6 Scouts, what can you say?

You have a 22 and a 410, or a 22 Hornet, and a 410, far better for a survival rifle than any of the above.

I have both, in stainless, and they were hard to get years ago, but I will tell you this, the 22 Hornet, is VERY accurate, even with the funky trigger, I seriously would not hesitate to take a neck shot on a deer at a hundred yards with it.

My AR-7 is an old green camo charter arms, and it has always worked flawlessly.

Ammo is a consideration in any semi 22, stay with CCI and you are probably safer.

I saw a couple Ram lines, on gunbroker, and they were asking over 80 bucks for them.

I have two pre ban, that run great, and my email to Ramline confirmed they are not going to manufacture them again.

As for the M6 Scouts, what can you say?

You have a 22 and a 410, or a 22 Hornet, and a 410, far better for a survival rifle than any of the above.

I have both, in stainless, and they were hard to get years ago, but I will tell you this, the 22 Hornet, is VERY accurate, even with the funky trigger, I seriously would not hesitate to take a neck shot on a deer at a hundred yards with it.

That's another thing I like about the M6, no feeding problems to even think of. Can you imagine if someone out there did just make a 20 gauge and 22lr in a fold up package? You could get rich off of one gun. Put a regular trigger on it and scope rail. I almost can't believe it has not happened yet.

My Henry AR7 was complete crap and kept jamming and going full auto! Even the President of Henry couldn't fix them!!! The Papoose was a jam-o-matic too. I had the Stainless/synthetic one. I am currently fighting with a Feather AT-22 take down rifle at my gunsmiths.....

My Springfield M6 is awesome.

Thy rimfires are accursed!I have owned all of the rifles you mentioned and only my AR-7 required work(mine wasn't a Henry though).You should go "change your luck" because you've obviously been hexed,LOL

Edited by SOPMOD

As far as I am concerned, there is NO completely reliable 22LR, semi auto made.

The 10-22 with factory mags would probably be the closest, but I have had 10-22's that would never feed reliably with any high cap mag I put in it.

I had a blaster 10-22, that wouldn't feed for crap, so I turned it into an HBAR, with a scope, and bought a new one, and it seems to eat almost everything I put through it.

I haven't had any experience with the Remington 570???, I think thats the model, but I am starting to see high caps becoming available for it, single stacks, which are usually more reliable.

Anybody have one????

One thing about the stainless M6's, they appear to be pretty much bulletproof, and much easier to maintain, in a situation where you may not have access to rags and oil.

And the onboard storage is always a bonus.

I have even considered an SBR conversion to mine, just to make it more "Mil Spec"....

How about the GSG-5, I fired one at the NRA HQ range a couple months ago. This younger guy had the rifle model and let me shoot it. The sights were decent, it was pretty light weight, compact, and has a 22-round magazine. I didn't have any problems with cycling or anything, he said the only problem he's had with it was failure to ignite from el-cheapo ammunition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJchaZNORsE

The 10-22 with factory mags would probably be the closest, but I have had 10-22's that would never feed reliably with any high cap mag I put in it.

I had a blaster 10-22, that wouldn't feed for crap, so I turned it into an HBAR, with a scope, and bought a new one, and it seems to eat almost everything I put through it.

I haven't had any experience with the Remington 570???, I think thats the model, but I am starting to see high caps becoming available for it, single stacks, which are usually more reliable.

Anybody have one????

One thing about the stainless M6's, they appear to be pretty much bulletproof, and much easier to maintain, in a situation where you may not have access to rags and oil.

And the onboard storage is always a bonus.

I have even considered an SBR conversion to mine, just to make it more "Mil Spec"....

My 10/22 will eat everything I've put in it except the Winchester bricks. I put over 500 rounds through it with no cleaning, just a little oil every now and then with 2 malfunctions which I feel I could blame on a weak load, it didn't fully cycle the bolt. But yeah, the M6 is catching my eye because of low maintenance.

• 5 weeks later...

I got one of the newer ones..at least what was new about 5 years ago.Very light weight and something just to mess around with,never had problems with the factory mags but the after market hi cap in the pic is junk,never could get it to feed right.

AR7.jpg

I remember seeing a survival rifle at a gun show back in the mid to later 80s. It looked like a black plastic 2 x 4 or 2 x 6. It was pulled apart from each end and seperated in the middle. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Thanks. By the way Pointer, thats a cool looking AR7. There is one on GB right now that has the standard setup and the sporter package all in one for $549.00.

"....

That about sums it up, yhough usually they have a preferred ammo that comes pretty damn close.

I have an old Charter AR7 that works and has always worked great, with most ammo. They are great and handy, but they owuld have been so much more adequate for "survival" if they were just a bolt action. 22 semi's are just plain finicky thats all there is to it.

The M6 is a good contender, also check out the NEF survivor 410/45 colt, onboard ammo storage, but no folding. Personally I owuld want a long gun over a pistol, but pistols are much more compact so in the end everything is a compromise. A Ruger Single Six is hard to beat for that role too.