Adding rails to factory hand guard

I added one of the Tapco three piece rails to my stock hand guard. I had a Galil style one, but I'm starting to prefer the original now. I might end up selling the Galil w/ Tromix retainer. We'll see.

Corbin

I added one of the Tapco three piece rails to my stock hand guard. I had a Galil style one, but I'm starting to prefer the original now. I might end up selling the Galil w/ Tromix retainer. We'll see.

Corbin

Corbin - can post some pics of your modified stock handguard? Thanks. :smoke:

Nothing too special. Just the stock forend that I added the Tapco bottom rail onto. In order to secure it better, I ground down the forend's inside rib flat and added two self tapping screws that correspond with the extra holes in the rail. The center screw is very long. We're talking 3 or 4 inches long. It screws into the nut on the rail and continues through into the center of the vertical grip, where I added a retaining nut. The grip isn't going anywhere.

forend1.jpg

forend2.jpg

forendinside.jpg

This is a temporary thing though. I'm going to eventually get or make one of the round aluminum style forends.

Corbin

Those tri-rails are nice but they cost $$$. I have a Tapco rail kit added to my factory HG and I love it. It cost about $12 and a little more for labor. Here are some pics. The rails are on there rock solid and I like the way they look.

post-12833-1239196177_thumb.jpg

post-12833-1239196205_thumb.jpg

^^^ That works too.

Here's one I did on a .223 factory forend to fit a sling adaptor. I got the mini rail at Bass Pro Shops for like 5 or 6 bucks... Then milled the forend a little so it mounted tight & flush with no gaps.

post-16572-1239198947_thumb.jpg

Edited by gothchick
^^^ That works too.

Here's one I did on a .223 factory forend to fit a sling adaptor. I got the mini rail at Bass Pro Shops for like 5 or 6 bucks... Then milled the forend a little so it mounted tight & flush with no gaps.

Nice! But I was hoping for a little more meat enough to accomodate both the sling and a vert grip on the same rail. Or maybe go the same as yours for the vert grip only and mount a swiver sling stud on the side of the forend.

BTW, what kind of rail is that on your gas block?