Probably dropping the hammer tomorrow...any advice?

I have been interested in the Saiga 12 for a while...I have the rifle in 7.62x39 that I have had for a month or so and have not even fired yet.That being said...with the current administration in D.C. I feel compelled to purchase while I still can...I looked over the forums a little today but I am a TOTAL NooB...Any advice or things to look for or avoid...I plan on picking up two of these tomorrow afternoon...one for me and one for my son for a gift.....info...suggestions? Thanks in advance for being kind to a NooB. Don

Ok...TOTAL NooB here...please explain what you mean when you say get them converted...I ASSUME you are talking about the pistol grip/fire control movement. Does this have to be done by a professional shop and is anybody taking on new owner provided guns to convert. I don't feel like I would have the skills.

Yeah pistol grip conversions. You'd be surprised what you could do with a few simple tools and this message board. If you know how to use a drill, maybe even a hammer and screw driver, you're all set. Just need conversion parts you can get from a lot of the vendors here. It's not complicated at all.

Optional. When you drill out the old pins in the back, you can tig weld them shut with a welding rod, then grind/sand them out so they're nice and smooth. Then you've got a nice shiny part to refinish as well as the bottom. Or you could use some cheap nylon hole plugs to fill the holes, which work fine from what I'm told. Dinzag also usually gives you a few nylon plugs as freebies if you order parts from him. Could also tig weld your trigger guard back on, if you wanted. Or use screws/nuts, or a new guard all together.

More than one option for pretty much anything you'd want to do to one of these things.

Optional. When you drill out the old pins in the back, you can tig weld them shut with a welding rod, then grind/sand them out so they're nice and smooth. Then you've got a nice shiny part to refinish as well as the bottom. Or you could use some cheap nylon hole plugs to fill the holes, which work fine from what I'm told. Dinzag also usually gives you a few nylon plugs as freebies if you order parts from him. Could also tig weld your trigger guard back on, if you wanted. Or use screws/nuts, or a new guard all together.

More than one option for pretty much anything you'd want to do to one of these things.

Dinzag sells the nylon plugs for 6 for $1.00.

http://dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/aknyhp.html

Well....I did it! I bought two S12's..one for myself and one for my son as a gift. I am planning on converting mine real soon...like I want to order the parts this week. But here's the real deal...I have NO EXPERIENCE with vendors other than the couple of links in this post earlier or parts ordering that are compatible.. I have watched a few of thew videos and after watching I feel if I have QUALITY parts that YOU GUYS know will work together then I can do this myself..but I need YOUR INPUT! Please make recommendations of who to use and who to avoid and your reasoning. Thanks guys! I live in Tn and I need it to be federally compliant please.

Edited by ulev1st

Well......since I didn't get any input...this is what I decided all on my own...did I screw up? Tromix Trigger guard, Modified Tapco G2 trigger group,SAW grip,Tapco folding stock,Hole plugs, Reduced power main spring, reduced power recoil spring, Galil fore arm grip with adapter(Tromix).