hey guys,

i got in touch with steve at rose action sports.

i had him ream and thread my saiga 12 for a tru choke. we were going to use rem chokes but the minor thread diameter would have been too small and the threads would be very weak.

so steve cut off the flat before the threads(od too small). its still over 18". reamed it and threaded for a tru choke. installed the modified choke tube. he then cut a releif in the thread protector so it will screw on flush again with the barrel.

it came out great. and the best part is he got use mine to set up a jig for you guys to have yours done too.

i dont work for him or have any other relation to him other than a satisfied customer. drop him an email gunsmith@roseactionsports.com

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you charge? I'm thinking of buying the reamer and tap from Brownells and doing it myself. I'm figuring at least when I'm done, I can sell the tools off and/or do my friends' guns. I'm actually interested in cutting off the factory threads (that will leave me 18.15" to the BF) and threading it for a normal Rem-choke or a Win-choke.

Good idea, bad idea? I can't find a price anywhere for the work, so I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to do it this way.

Am I understanding this correctly that your barrel has both internal threads (tru choke) and standard external threads? If so, am I correct that you're talking about the small diameter tru choke (they come in standard and small diameter)? If so, that's a pretty cool option but I think it's going to be a case by case thing depending on how well centered the bore is to the outside of the barrel. The nice thing about internal threads is that it gives you a much wider variety of chokes.

This might interest you-

http://www.choketube.com/truchoke.html

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine back from having the factory threads removed and the barrel tapped for Rem chokes. I highly recommend Steve at RAS for this work. The turnaround was fast, the price was very reasonable, and I couldn't have asked for better quality workmanship.

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as I get my hands on a camera.

A big :up: for Rose Action Sports.

And...as promised -

Here's what I got to go with it - Full, Mod., and Imp. Cyl. chokes

Chokes001Large.jpg

No more factory threading

Chokes002Large.jpg

Very good job finishing the crown - smooth, flush fit

Chokes004Large.jpg

Smoothly reamed inside, with nice, tight threads

Chokes005Large.jpg

This is exactly what it was modified to accept - standard Remington style choke tubes

Chokes006Large.jpg

Range report forthcoming when the weather clears up.

Edited by FenderFreek
  • 1 month later...
Looks good.

I'm thinking that another board member here reamed a S-12 barrel extension to accept Rem chokes, so he could use them with the factory external threads.

Tom made that, or if there are more than one, he did the latest one.

i took my s12 out to the trap range and shot with some friends.

i used my 21" 870 and shot a 20.

then me and 2 other guys shot a second round and i used the s12. its alot of work to run it as a single shot. by time i had it ready they were waiting for me. but even in a rush i shot a 17. this was only the second time i shot the s12. the first time was a few rounds to see it it was working.

i know that choke tube is in there straight. thanks steve for the great work.