Thinking of full conversion...

I've been thinking more and more about doing a conversion (pistol grip, tapco adjustable buttstock, g2 trigger, tri-rail foregrip).

I was wondering if anyone in or around Orange/Westchester/Putnam counties could p.m. me a quote for a doing a pistol grip conversion for me, as I am not so good with power tools.

Thanks in advance, please get back to me.

I'm not in any of those counties, but if you have any questions between Indyarms, 22 Shooter, and myself i think you will be well taken care of. If you can find someone closer, great, if not, i would urge you to not be discouraged by that. A little research and $100 in a nice dremel kit will go a long way.

I'm not in any of those counties, but if you have any questions between Indyarms, 22 Shooter, and myself i think you will be well taken care of. If you can find someone closer, great, if not, i would urge you to not be discouraged by that. A little research and $100 in a nice dremel kit will go a long way.

^ What he said. ^

(You'll have to pin that telescoping stock, due to NY's awesome gun laws)

My hands aren't nearly steady enough to do the required tool work for the pistol grip (I'm 19 and just quit smoking this past few days), if I shipped it to one of you, or was able to drive it to one of you guys, about how much would you charge?

Edited by HollowPoint
My hands aren't nearly steady enough to do the required tool work for the pistol grip (I'm 19 and just quit smoking this past few days), if I shipped it to one of you, or was able to drive it to one of you guys, about how much would you charge?

If your looking at something like that i would recomend checking into some of our contributors. Many of them do conversions, and i'm sure would be willing to work with you on NY legalities.

You can't ship a gun out to anyone for work, unless they have an FFL (or maybe you can, because it's within NY. I'm not sure).

If I had the time, I wouldn't charge anything. Because if I were to help someone, it would be to show them what to do, and have them do it.

Seriously man, there's nothing to it. Assuming the PG hole is already cut, there's not much "precision" work at all.

What's the main hang up with you doing it yourself?

You can't ship a gun out to anyone for work, unless they have an FFL (or maybe you can, because it's within NY. I'm not sure).

If I had the time, I wouldn't charge anything. Because if I were to help someone, it would be to show them what to do, and have them do it.

Seriously man, there's nothing to it. Assuming the PG hole is already cut, there's not much "precision" work at all.

The main reason I don't want to do it myself is because I've never done work on guns and don't want to completely FUBAR it in case I screw it up, I don't have a dremmel, and even if I had one, don't think that I would use it enough to justify spending the money.

The main reason I don't want to do it myself is because I've never done work on guns and don't want to completely FUBAR it in case I screw it up, I don't have a dremmel, and even if I had one, don't think that I would use it enough to justify spending the money.

Price a conversion, its worth every cent. This board has a very strong DIY attitude. So man up and get grinding, or pony up the dollars for someone else to do it.

I pretty much knew nothing about guns at all, let alone tearing into one with tools, when I got my first Saiga a couple years ago. I kept it in factory configuration for awhile then decided to just go ahead with the conversion myself. I did it with a corded hand drill, some files and a small hex key to act as a punch. So a dremel is a luxury, definitely not a necessity if the money spent on it worries you.

I know I've said this a million times, and so has everyone else but I'll say it again............it's 100 times easier than you think it is.

Watch the conversion video that is linked in my signature. You can really see how easy it is. As far as messing up your gun.........when you really think about it, I don't see how you can do that much damage to it. Maybe some scratches and gouges (been there, done that).

But like NailBomb said, a lot of folks here are DIY'ers, and some are not. If it really seems like you can't do it, or don't want to attempt it, then by all means, pick a forum Business Member who does conversions and start communications.

I'm almost finished with my first conversion and did it all with a single-speed dremel and a hand drill. It's not difficult - just read everything you can about it and watch all the videos.

Thanks for linking that video 22_Shooter. I've had some apprehension doing a conversion as well, but seeing that video really makes it click. That's really the conversion I want to do for now. PG, FCG, Buttstock. A simple conversion like that is compliant, yes? I'm not going to do the bullet-guide, gas tube, hand-guard mods for now, sticking with the factory mags for now as well - maybe next phase. Thanks again!

I'm almost finished with my first conversion and did it all with a single-speed dremel and a hand drill. It's not difficult - just read everything you can about it and watch all the videos.

Thanks for linking that video 22_Shooter. I've had some apprehension doing a conversion as well, but seeing that video really makes it click. That's really the conversion I want to do for now. PG, FCG, Buttstock. A simple conversion like that is compliant, yes? I'm not going to do the bullet-guide, gas tube, hand-guard mods for now, sticking with the factory mags for now as well - maybe next phase. Thanks again!

No problem for the link. I've noticed many people say "Hey, that does look easy" after seeing conversion videos. I think Ernestmayhand's is the best video so far, so I figured I'd link it in my sig.

As far as being compliant doing what he did in the video.......it depends on the parts used. Use 922r checklist in my sig, and knowing what parts you want, check accordingly.