Is a choke necessary for typical home defense distances?

So out to 25 yards or so, I don't need a choke at all for anti-personnel purposes?

Also, if it's the case that I don't need a choke for anti-personnel purposes, I could, if I wanted to, be creative and mix and match buckshot and slugs within a single mag?

So out to 25 yards or so, I don't need a choke at all for anti-personnel purposes?

Also, if it's the case that I don't need a choke for anti-personnel purposes, I could, if I wanted to, be creative and mix and match buckshot and slugs within a single mag?

Chokes are for trap shooting and duck hunting dude. My "Home Defense AGP" alternates slugs and #0 buck.

Chokes are for trap shooting and duck hunting dude.

A friend of mine claims that an improved cylinder choke is necessary with buckshot at relatively close ranges.

My "Home Defense AGP" alternates slugs and #0 buck.

Indeed, I was thinking that combining the two would be nice, but I wanted to make sure that it's doable.

Edited by Matt78
In a home defense situation, I will choke any mother fucker within reach. Your distance will vary based on your height and wingspan. I'm 6'4", so I can really reach out and choke an intruder.

Hmmmm.. is that really a choke or is it a strangle? There is a difference, you know. :D

no choke, but a flashlight/laser is always cool to use. Not to many people practice shooting in a house. hehehehe

4 shot and up is good.

You can buy law enforcement buckshot and never worry about it.

home intrusion, you have to worry about knives and handguns. so a flashlight/laser is good if you have to shoot from a hip or if you are caught off guard when you forget to do the special SWAT team moves. :smoke:

Edited by crito

I never liked the idea of mixing buckshot & slugs. When it comes time to pull the trigger, and if you have to pull the trigger more than once, the chances are you aren't going to remember what's next in the chamber so why not keep it consistent?

Take BobAsh' advice: "PATTERN YOU OWN GUN USING YOUR SELF DEFENSE AMMO AT REALISTIC DISTANCES. It won't be long befpre you know your guns performance."

That's what's really important here right? You being familiar with your gun. Figure out what works best for you and if/when you have to use it you won't be running through a list of internet rules in your head. You'll just know what to do.

I consider 00 Buck Mag in my Saiga12 to be "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" for any perp that thinks he's coming in my house uninvited. It really rips the shit out of targets to about 50 yards. No choke neccessary.

Edited by gothchick

Around the house my shorty shottie is loaded with #2 lead "goose" loads...........this is less inclined to penetrate a neighbors house. It gives me a much better legal advantage for my defense. ( Look I was using bird loads, I didn't intend to kill him") and a Doc once told me "He could save someone shot by cops with just a couple buckshot holes in him, but those hunters that get hit by goose loads are like trying to sew up a rotten muffler tailpipe.......not much left to patch up, it just keeps bleeding out." ....Just something to ponder.......................VK :rolleyes:

I consider 00 Buck Mag in my Saiga12 to be "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" for any perp that thinks he's coming in my house uninvited. It really rips the shit out of targets to about 50 yards. No choke neccessary.

Is that 2 3/4'' or 3''? Unfortunately, my 20 round drum only takes 2 3/4''.

Sellier & Bellot 2 3/4" Mag 9 pellet.

Is there a lot of muzzle climb with that (imagine multiple intruders)? If so, would a muzzle brake work well with buckshot (in other words, would the spread of the buckshot as it leaves the muzzle be low enough to not hit the inner surface of the muzzle brake)?

It does kick hard enough to bruise my shoulder pretty badly (but I'm also a girl). It works perfectly with this Tromix M16A1 style flash suppressor.

Gothchick. Please tell me that is not one of you turds in your avator picture.

Lol. Pretty gross, huh? It's not my turd, but unfortunately does reflect my warped sense of humor. :-)
It does kick hard enough to bruise my shoulder pretty badly (but I'm also a girl). It works perfectly with this Tromix M16A1 style flash suppressor.

So you've shot some rounds with the flash suppressor, and haven't noticed any sort of wear on the inner surface?

Sellier & Bellot 2 3/4" Mag 9 pellet.

...would a muzzle brake work well with buckshot (in other words, would the spread of the buckshot as it leaves the muzzle be low enough to not hit the inner surface of the muzzle brake)?

Tromix Brakes and Flash Hiders are designed to work with buck, ball and bird. No problem.

So you've shot some rounds with the flash suppressor, and haven't noticed any sort of wear on the inner surface?

No wear at all. I halfway expected the pellets to bounce around the Tromix flash cage on the way out. But no adverse contact at all from what I can see.

Nice gun. Looks like you've got some serious investment into it. Is that a Chaos rail? Also, I know your name says "gothchick" and you said you are a girl but I'm just trying to put together the image in my mind of a girl with a badass shotgun like that. How about a pic of you with your gun?