I went in to the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

All they had were shotgun primers and bolt action rifles. The shelves are empty. I am not sure how they plan on staying in business. They have NO inventory.

Then, I went to Wally World and the only thing they had was some 30.06 hunting ammo and 100-round Winchester #8 shot 12 gauge value packs.

After shooting slugs, I can never go back to that paper target shit. It's OK for breaking in the 20-round drums and all, but that's about it. My drums are broken in.

THEN, I went to TWO local gun shops. One owner said he spoke to Hornady. Word has it that they are running 24/7 six days a week and doing machine maintenance on the seventh day. According to this guy they are running six months behind. He was told that if he ordered RIGHT NOW, he could expect delivery in the fall.

I can understand the shelves being empty, but what's the excuse for lack of resupply?

Where are the primers??? Shit, I can't even reload right now. I've got a Dillon 550B sitting there gathering dust.

No boom boom.

I don't recall the list of Sportsman's warehouse stores that will be closing but some are filing for bankruptcy, this is too bad as they were very competitive in our area and I believe kept Cabela's and Bass pro in check. Hopefully SW can get it together and recover, would be a resource I would not want to loose.

Canadian Company Buys Sportsman's Warehouse in Silverdale, Others Across State

By Kitsap Sun staff

Friday, March 13, 2009

The Silverdale Sportsman's Warehouse, along with six others in Washington, will be sold to a Canadian company under an agreement announced earlier this week.

Sportsman's Warehouse plans to sell a total of 15 stores and close 23 others, according to a statement from Stuart Utgard, chairman and CEO of the Utah-based sporting goods chain. The 15 stores, including all seven in Washington, will be sold to UFA Cooperative Limited of Alberta, Canada.

UFA announced plan in November to acquire a majority interest in Sportsman's Warehouse, but the Canadian company backed off the plan as the economy sunk into recession, according to a statement on the company's Web site. Instead it chose to buy 15 stores and run them through its outdoor adventure division.

In a release on its Web site, Utgaard said he hopes the course of action the company is taking will enable the company to move forward and continue to support its remaining 29 stores.

The closures and sales will leave Sportsman's Warehouse with 29 stores, along with $120 million in corporate debt. The debt figure is down from about $270 million, according to an article in the Star Tribune in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.

On its Web site, UFA touts itself as Canada's largest reseller of diesel products. It serves rural communities throughout Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan and has a construction division as well as a network of retail stores and petroleum outlets.

Sportsman's announcement comes a week after Oregon-based Joe's Sports and Outdoor filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Kitsap County planning permits indicated Joe's was slated to go into Silverdale, but a company spokesman would not comment about the status of the Silverdale location, saying the company was focusing on maintaining operations at existing stores.

I talked to someone who said that after the Canadian sale fell through, they are having a real hard time borrowing money to buy inventory.

That's somewhat surprising to me considering how HOTTT the guns-and-ammo market is right now. They sell everything they get as they put it on the shelves.

Their existing debt load must be what's scaring the lenders off.

If, for any reason, you can't acquire inventory to sell, it really doesn't matter how hot the market is.

Edited by Bounce12
I don't recall the list of Sportsman's warehouse stores that will be closing but some are filing for bankruptcy, this is too bad as they were very competitive in our area and I believe kept Cabela's and Bass pro in check. Hopefully SW can get it together and recover, would be a resource I would not want to loose.

Both my local SW stores have gone under in the last year. While they had decent prices on some items (especially the store closing sale ....picked up an XD45 for a great price) they typically had ammo prices 20% higher than most other stores....cabelas had better prices on ammo even. My local Gander Mountain was the only place selling for higher on some ammo, and cheaper on others.

I hate to see any store that sells guns and outdoor gear close, but they were not getting my business in general anyway......

my local walmart is bare of 9mm 40, 45, etc.

shot gun ammo and some 22, and .25

that is all thats left really.

gun show today, didn't see a box of ammo for under $10 (that includes wolf x39 20 rounds) just crazy pricing!!!

3 S-12s there tho....priced $600-750.

The store in my area also has empty shelves. I overheard a sales person saying that can't get anything in and I assumed it was because of the increased demand for gun related stuff. I did not realize they were in financial trouble.

We have 2 stores here in Las Vegas, one been here for years and the second just opened last november. Both are closing and have been having sales to get rid of merchendise. To bad as said above they were very competitive compared to bass pro and cabela's.