A fix for promags

My problem with the ProMag was a rocking follower and not enough spring force, would barely feed the last 3 rounds any more and the angle was wrong and the shell smashed. All 15 or so where I bought it were exactly the same(rocking followers). I was told by promag that the batch may have shrunk when molded. They said they would send me a new follower and spring but I havent recieved them yet.

dissable your mag turn it upside down and drop in a loaded shell if it will fall all the way then the mag is to narrow .

I just sent all 10x of my promags back to Promag Industries and demanded that they be: repair, replaced, or refunded as per the terms of the lifetime warrenty. For me this fad is over, I am sticking with 8rd surefire mags.

Like I said, how do they continue to stay in business?

Guys the main reason I fixed them myself is that I did not trust them too. and it was easier to fix the 5 that I have than to mess with sending them back and forth. Like I said I'd buy more if the price is right. I also found the same problem with one of my AGP ARMS GEN 2 mags and performed the same fix. Takes less than 10 mins per mag to fix.

• 1 year later...

As you know by now Promag has a bad reputation and much of it is based on the fact that most of their stick mags need some kind of modification to work well. The good news is that Promags have a lifetime warranty and if you contact them by phone they will issue an RMA# so you can return your magazine to them and they will repair or replace it for you. I did this in December with a 10 rounder that would not work reliably for me (the follower did not move freely and resulted in frequent FTF) About 3 weeks after I sent it I received a magazine that so far has preformed well for me and I am now confident with my promag. So do not try to modify your magazines yourself it voids the warranty. send it back and make them give you one that works as it should. Hope this helps

As you know by now Promag has a bad reputation and much of it is based on the fact that most of their stick mags need some kind of modification to work well. The good news is that Promags have a lifetime warranty and if you contact them by phone they will issue an RMA# so you can return your magazine to them and they will repair or replace it for you. I did this in December with a 10 rounder that would not work reliably for me (the follower did not move freely and resulted in frequent FTF) About 3 weeks after I sent it I received a magazine that so far has preformed well for me and I am now confident with my promag. So do not try to modify your magazines yourself it voids the warranty. send it back and make them give you one that works as it should. Hope this helps

you got lucky. promags customer service has been pretty shitty. people would send mags to them then wait weaks with no response, this was especially true with the first run (like mine) so instead of sitting on a pos, i made it work.

again, you got lucky.

After waiting several weeks my 5 promags arivied and guess what . yes thats right they would not feed at all turned my semi auto into a single shot. So heres why and how to fix them.. Dam things are to narrow a 12 guage slug sheel measured at .807 inches in dia. the promags have a opening of .761 (aint going to fit) mike drum measured at .836 ( guess thats why they work) factory mag measured out at .819 We need a bigger opening. to I planed a 1/1 down to .823 and cut off 2 sections one 20 inches and one 2 3/4 the short one i beveled the ends at about 30 degrees or so. Dissamble the mags leave the steel feed lips in place. I then placed the short wood block in the top of the promag tucking one end up under the steel feed lips with the rest of going across the top. I then jammed the 20 inch (wooden mag spacer) up through the bottom untill it bottomed out on the upper (wooden mag spacer or wms) then I placed them in a large pot of boiling water. It was not hot enough. However the wood swelled up perhaps this helped maybee it did not . I heated an oven up to 400 degrees and placed the mag with the soaking wet wms's stilled in place and waited about 7 minutes and checked them . the mag body was some what pliable so I removed the assembly fro the oven. yes I was wearing gloves at this thime I noticed water in the mags (from the wood) I quickly placed the entire assembly in to a cool bucket of water. after it cooled I removed the wms. Loaded them mags and srtipped the rounds off as fast as i could. works perfectly. I soaked the wms in water each time I placed them in a mag then placed the assembly in the oven. Hope this helps. I took some pictures and will try to pst them.

quicker solution, realize they sell shit and dont give them your buisness anymore

Or you could recycle the plastic and hope that agp or sgm uses it to make a new mag. :lolol:

this

promags blow nuts,

"maybe if i boil them and place a cork and chant a certain phrase"

fuck that , you get what you pay for

yepper i bought 2 when they first came out. they sucked from the get go. but after some heavy modding they work great. would i buy more? only if they where dirt cheap. i think its rediculous that these things are still $20-$30 a pop. for all the work you have to do too make them feed right, they should be around $5-10.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Have 4 Promag 10 rounders and one of the four was causing FTF on every third shell. This one was not like the others (Yes Kermit). The follower had little tabs holding it off of the front side of the magazine.

The one on the left in the picture had the tabs, the one on the right did not. I took a drywall knife and cut the tabs off and sanded a little.

Promag_Follower.jpg

Took it out and it now runs straight through 10's with no issues, using the same Winchester birdshot it was FTF'ing on. With the tabs on the follower you can depress it and see that the angle is off from the ones that do not have them. Had not seen this posted before, so if you have this. It can be fixed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My promags don't even feed the first round. They used to work, but now they don't. Good thing I have lots of other mags. I actually like the look of them. Is there any reason the feed angle would change over time. It's not wear because I don't even use them. When I got the gun they are all I had and they worked fine, then I got other mags and drums and they have just been sitting. Tried them today and they are junk. 150 rounds today through surefire and MD20's not one FTF or FTE. Lots of hipfiring and not one problem. Had a blast!

My promags don't even feed the first round. They used to work, but now they don't. Good thing I have lots of other mags. I actually like the look of them. Is there any reason the feed angle would change over time. It's not wear because I don't even use them. When I got the gun they are all I had and they worked fine, then I got other mags and drums and they have just been sitting. Tried them today and they are junk. 150 rounds today through surefire and MD20's not one FTF or FTE. Lots of hipfiring and not one problem. Had a blast!

I'll give ya a dollar a piece for the ProMags if they are 10 rounders

Lol. I'm not giving up on them that easy. I have always enjoyed geting mags that are not reliable to work. I have a whole pile of them by my safe I have not gotten to yet. Just kind of funny how they both stopped feeding. I have modded them and the follower moves freely through the mag body. I have other promag mags for other weapons I would pay you a dollar to take tho. Lol