Side-mounted Russian Cobra Red Dot Sights...

So I'm in the market for a solid, dependable, accurate red dot sight, (for both my Saiga 7.62 and Saiga 12), and I've been considering a few including the LaRue AK Irondot, Aimpoint, and the Russian Cobra Red Dot, (I know that's not a great price, just using the link for info).

It seems to me that it makes sense to actually use the optics side-mount riveted to all Saiga receivers, rather than replacing the handguard/gas tube for a Weaver mount. Also, these Cobra sights look to be extremely tough and dependable.

So, who's got experience with the Russian Cobra sights and can relay some first hand knowledge of how well they perform and hold up on a Saiga 12/Saiga 7.62? Also, does this sight mount high enough that the irons are visable and usable while the sight is in place?

TIA

So I'm in the market for a solid, dependable, accurate red dot sight, (for both my Saiga 7.62 and Saiga 12), and I've been considering a few including the LaRue AK Irondot, Aimpoint, and the Russian Cobra Red Dot, (I know that's not a great price, just using the link for info).

It seems to me that it makes sense to actually use the optics side-mount riveted to all Saiga receivers, rather than replacing the handguard/gas tube for a Weaver mount. Also, these Cobra sights look to be extremely tough and dependable.

So, who's got experience with the Russian Cobra sights and can relay some first hand knowledge of how well they perform and hold up on a Saiga 12/Saiga 7.62? Also, does this sight mount high enough that the irons are visable and usable while the sight is in place?

TIA

I have one and talk about it in a thread called Kobra Red Dot for Saiga and Live Fire After Action Review. It does not mount high enough to use iron sight, but it is extremely durable and can quickly come off and be put back on without losing ZERO. I tested it first hand, see my thread it does not lose zero when removed.

I recommend you use eastwave at http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/cobra.html I bought mine from them for $295.00 and it was actually shipped directly from the Russian Federation. I hope this helped.

Edited by Patriot12
I have one and talk about it in a thread called Kobra Red Dot for Saiga and Live Fire After Action Review. It does not mount high enough to use iron sight

That is a good thing. Why in all things holy would you want a scope mounted so high that you can also use the irons under it? Just stick with irons then The worst thing is a person who goes through the trouble of mounting a scope then mounts it awkwardly high (like the russian mounts aren't high enough) so they can use their irons "just in case". That is why they have a quick release mount. If it malfunctions tear it off.

I have one and talk about it in a thread called Kobra Red Dot for Saiga and Live Fire After Action Review. It does not mount high enough to use iron sight

That is a good thing. Why in all things holy would you want a scope mounted so high that you can also use the irons under it? Just stick with irons then The worst thing is a person who goes through the trouble of mounting a scope then mounts it awkwardly high (like the russian mounts aren't high enough) so they can use their irons "just in case". That is why they have a quick release mount. If it malfunctions tear it off.

+1. Also these thing don't malfunction that much. It is as reliable as the AK it was built for.

I've had one of the AA battery units. On my 12ga I had problems with battery life. The batteries are in line with recoil....

I used mine in competition. For all I know it was cheap batteries? I didn't fight it, dropped a new set of batteries in anytime I started a new competition. I put it on my AK-47 clone, and it didn't have the same problems, but I don't shoot that one nearly as much.

I have two of them, one just stopped working altogether. I used it the most, I'd guess 4 years or so, and less than 10,000 rounds, but I don't know how much less.... gut feel would be 4 to 6000 rounds.

For me, it sits a little high, and I find I shoot a little faster with the irons when in "hoser" stages (lots and lots of easy shots), so I'm not looking to replace it with another Kobra.

YMMV

It looks like you're giving Patriot12 hell for a question I asked. I am the one who hoped it was just high enough to allow the irons to be used, (since it's already high enough that it'll require a cheek-rest attachment to the stock). Take it easy. I was just wondering, as some aftermarket side-mount rails advertise that they are high enough to clear the irons. I do like how quickly the side mount allows installation and removal, and if the Kobra were to ever fail when it mattered, I could quickly take it off and go to irons, which is what is apparently necessary.

So.. from this reply and others it sounds like the main downside to this red dot is the unpredictable battery life?

The model you've shown (Kobra EKP-1S-03M) I have on my AK-103 (low recoil) and it works beautifully. There's another model (Kobra EKP-8-02) that uses lithium disk batteries. I got that one for use on my Saiga 12, as the recoil shouldn't affect these batteries as much over time.

I'm using the EKP-8-18. Gen 3. It also uses the lithium disk battery, type CR2. The battery "poles" are perpendicular to the recoil, but mine is for mounting right onto a weaver mount. I bought a side-mount to put it on and it works great. It's a bit large and heavy, but it's solid as a rock. Got mine from Kalinkaoptics. I don't shoot enough to comment on battery life though.