New Saiga Conversion / Hog gun project complete!

Really? A .223 as a hog gun? Isn't that a little under powered for game as formidable as these porcine beasties? Personally, I would be somewhat hesitant to use even the 7.62x39, although it should be quite adequate in most cases. You really need something with good penetration to get through the armored shoulder/ribcage they have. If you're set on a Saiga(there's nothing wrong with that!), the .308 would really be the best all around choice for hunting almost any game(2 and 4 legged), anywhere in N America.

Nice job and nice gun. Don't know what kind of pigs your shooting but in Texas with .223 it ain't gonna happen even with a head shot. They have a "mantle" that acts like sloped tank armor to fend off those tusks which are razor sharp cruciform, 4-6 inches. Seen them run off with multiple 30-30s and 7.62x39 hits. Personally, I use a 45-70 guide gun with leverevolution rounds. It will be a good varmint gun.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

Nice rifle. like the stock you added.

Texas Trophy Hunter magazine (aka the texas hunters bible) just had an article last month on hog hunting with 223. If the right ammo is chosen, it will not be any problem. |personal note| -> However, if it is a 300+lb hog, you might need more than one round in it lol.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Up til now, I used an HK SL8 for hogs, and have had no trouble killing them, even with .223

This gun was built as a smaller, more manuverable rifle for the same purpose.

Its less than ideal, but from my past experience with hogs, I dont doubt its capability.

Its a UTG Saiga-specific rail. Very nice, solid, and seems to hold zero just fine.

UTG may not be 'operator' grade stuff, but its not the crap many gun snobs make it out to be.

I have very pricey taste in weapons, and am used to Sig, HK, Colt quality, and I dont see anything at all wrong with this rail setup.

If anything at all, its too heavy.