saiga safety lever wandering

Just got back from trying out the new toy,

learned that promags blow,

and the buffer caused nothing but FTE's

Once that was straightened out had fun with the agp 10 rounders and md arms 20 round drum, both good to go,

after setting the gas port to 2 for the super light game loads everything ran great, however the safety lever starts to wander up after about the 5th shot until it actually engages.

Anyone run into this?

milling in a slot is all i can think of doing to fix this, however I hesitate to try as I am a perfectionist, and I could see it easily end up not looking 100% right.

TIA

Is the dimple in the safty lever not pressing against the side of the reciever hard enough to dig in and scratch through the finish?

it is, it does mar the finish, it feels about as tight as my other ak, but the other ak has a slot in the receiver right before the stop, where as the saiga doesn't

Is the dimple in the safty lever not pressing against the side of the reciever hard enough to dig in and scratch through the finish?

it is, it does mar the finish, it feels about as tight as my other ak, but the other ak has a slot in the receiver right before the stop, where as the saiga doesn't

I made a teardrop shaped dimple in my receiver, it solidly catches the lever on the up swing and the teardrop shape allows it to easily be moved downward to fire. Edited by ChileRelleno

With all the rounds I've put through the Saigas I never had this problem. Not even on the .308s or the 12guages. The only time it moved while firing was when I caught the lever on a molle loop. It still didn't move enough to block the trigger. :unsure:

I've only seen one Saiga with a loose safety before, but I HAVE seen it. It was a Saiga 12, and I suspect the safety may have either been slightly out of spec (like with the shaft being too long) or the external portion may have gotten flexed out of shape a little.

Let me say though, it wasn't "rattle-loose". It was definitely loose enough to not scratch the surface of the receiver though. It probably could have been fixed by flexing it back in a little or MAYBE shortening the shaft a tad. I'm not sure on the latter though.

Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

it appears to be hitting the rivet near the bottom when the selector is on F, the selector nipple no longer contacts the reciever the last 1/4 of the way down to F, i ground off a lot of the safety and it appears to be much more firm now, gonna go test fire it tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have access to a mill or drill press, make a dimple with a small round endmill-use the scratch as a guide to center. I make one at the bottom (off) and one at the top for positive stops in the right location. It doesn't have to be very deep, just enough to make a pocket.

post-1866-1244598070_thumb.jpg

If you have access to a mill or drill press, make a dimple with a small round endmill-use the scratch as a guide to center. I make one at the bottom (off) and one at the top for positive stops in the right location. It doesn't have to be very deep, just enough to make a pocket.

sounds good, bit size?

sounds good, bit size?

I used a 3/32.