I'd gotten my conversion parts from Dinzag a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't doing anything yesterday so I decided to jump into my first conversion for my Saiga 7.62 carbine...

The triggergaurd removal/install and pistol grip install went really well, not a problem there...

I had some trouble with the FCG install, it turned out the front bolt on the triggerguard[the one that goes into the magazine release] was too long and was preventing me from lining up the hammer assembly correctly to install the pin and hitch pin.

Here's where it started to go wrong.

Lost my centerpunch somewhere in the house...I'm 100% certain it's in the same room I was but couldn't find it for the life of me. I'd just purchased it that morning too...

Due to losing my centerpunch I drilled the hole for the bullet guide a little closer to the chamber than I'd like to. Then...I BROKE THE TAP. Too impatient, went too quick...I don't have the means to get the broken bits out but my father's shop has everything I'll need to remedy the problem once I get around to it.

To top my day off, I couldn't for the life of me take off the original gas piston. I drilled it about 1/3 through on each side and the pin still wouldn't budge and the piston wouldn't turn. I even tried to Once I get to my dad's shop I'll be able to use his vises though and hopefully it will come out.

Questions:

1) The hole I drilled for the bullet guide is not exactly centered in the hole for the screw that goes through the bullet guide when I lay it in place. Will this be a problem. Since I have to get the parts of the broken tap out what would be the best way to fasten the bullet guide in place? A larger screw? Weld it in place and then grind the excess off?

2) How do I install the US gas piston. It came with 2 drills and a metal pin. Do I simply screw the new on in place, drill through the piston all the way and then hammer the pin in?

3) What exactly do I have to grind down in order to get 30 round magazines to fit? The top of the magazine release lever?

TIA

I can only help you with #3. Go very very slowly and only grind off one section at a time. I was dumb and grinded the front and rear of the top of the mag latch and now I have a very loose mag. The front is perfect but the rear was not supposed to have been grinded off. So what I would do is grind a little bit (1/4 of a mm) and then try out the mag. Keep on doing this until it fits. I didn't have patience and it now has caused a whole bunch of trouble that could've been avoided.

For the TAP stuck and 'bullet guide' problem another member here used JB weld to attach his guide with some in the f'd up hole and some on the edge for added safety/surety...

JB weld in the hole would be secure enough to hold it, then just sand/file down till flush with the guide.

I used a small straight punch, and a hammer, and gave the broken off tap a really good SMACK! The threads on the tap blew out and it came out as nice as you please!!

Use a drill bit just smaller than the size of the screws minus the threads you want to put back into the stock.

:smoke:

I had some trouble with the FCG install, it turned out the front bolt on the triggerguard[the one that goes into the magazine release] was too long and was preventing me from lining up the hammer assembly correctly to install the pin and hitch pin.

check the convert video on youtube about the FCG installing, in the 1-10 part video's. The guy says you need to FILE down the hammer EDGES ~~~~~DO THIS CAREFULLY FILE A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME AND THEN TRY TO FIT IT IN THE GUN~~~~~~~~ you been warned

check the convert video on youtube about the FCG installing, in the 1-10 part video's. The guy says you need to FILE down the hammer EDGES ~~~~~DO THIS CAREFULLY FILE A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME AND THEN TRY TO FIT IT IN THE GUN~~~~~~~~ you been warned

I disagree with your advice xbox. What the OP really needs is to file down the protruding bolt - I had the same issue BTW. I used Dremel abrasive bit to get rid of the offending protrusion.

The hammer edge filing is ONLY needed for BHO clearance on the right side and ONLY if you plan on reinstalling BHO and your FCG does not have that clearance - basically make sure you measure your factory hammer and the new one with a caliper.

I disagree with your advice xbox. What the OP really needs is to file down the protruding bolt - I had the same issue BTW. I used Dremel abrasive bit to get rid of the offending protrusion.

The hammer edge filing is ONLY needed for BHO clearance on the right side and ONLY if you plan on reinstalling BHO and your FCG does not have that clearance - basically make sure you measure your factory hammer and the new one with a caliper.

I like the BHO I will reuse mine