Tromix Top Cover Picatinny Rail is Discontinued.

This is very surprising because the part is so nice. I guess the welding required had some intimidated?

Looks like this very Limited Edition Tromix part has just sky rocketed in value. Now that it's discontinued I'm guessing that when installed on a Tromix firearm it will add around $200-$300 in value.

For the hard core Tromix fans out there you better get your hands on one while you still can.

I was looking here about any news of a Tromix HK sight welded on a top rail. I think one reason for it not selling is that you gotta weld it on. Most of us guys out there are only capable of bolt-on mods including me. To have to weld it on, we would have to seek out a local gunsmith and pay their exorbatant labor rates just to have this sight/rail welded to the top cover. Not quite so worthwhile. Also Naolith has been quoted that only the sights will work on the dust cover but an optic on a dust cover rail is not a workable option. Lastly not to krap on this thread and I don't intend to do so but.... Here's this: http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...;products_id=18

And this: http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...;products_id=19

So why am I not running to get one of those? Simple, the rail is useless. If I am to use an optic, I would use a Belarusian low profile side rail. However that accessory rail on the dust cover would get in the way of the side rail.

Okay, I'm a nobody in the gun world and even in this forum but I am a consumer and there are many others like me who are looking for good quality bolt-ons for our Saigas. Here's my idea if you can just hear me out for a bit.

How about offering a ready made dust cover with just the HK rear sights already welded on? To add to that how about making an HK front sight that bolts on to the gas tube like the Ace front sights. http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_inf...products_id=397 Except they would be HK style sights.

Build that and not only will you have me knocking on your door but many others. In fact this would be a great stocking item for dealers like Greg at CSS (a great place for newbie Saiga owners). I don't want to mention MAA because they're not Kali friendly. (Oops! I already did.)

Edited by FrustratedInCali
Also Naolith has been quoted that only the sights will work on the dust cover but an optic on a dust cover rail is not a workable option.
So why am I not running to get one of those? Simple, the rail is useless.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. How is it that HK sights welded to the top cover be fine but an HK sight base that happens to have an extended rail and is also TIG welded on (as opposed to bolted on) be rendered useless? It seems to me this rail would be just as efficient as the HK sights, if not more so, and thus would imply an optic mounted to that rail would be effecient as well.

Next, even if we assumed your statement was correct we're still talking about a close quarters combat weapon, not a high precision carbine rifle. When you say it won't hold zero by what degree are your refferring to and what is the cause and frequency of movement? Further, what effect we are talking about in real life combat terms of up to 20 yards at the most? Would the down range effects within that limited distance and with buck shot ammunition really be significant enough to be considered "useless" as you stated?

Tromix Part Number SGP73, HK rear sight base with picattiny rail forward extension, is discontinued due to lack of sales.

It will be removed from the Tromix website tomorrow.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

I liked the idea of this product when it came out, and i'm disapointed to see it go to the grave like this.

But I would like to thank you for the heads up. I don't even have a shotgun to put it on yet, but the one i just ordered from CSS will find its way onto my next S-12 someday. I'm not going to see something like this pass me by.

• Like 1

If you're operating at egg tossing distance, dust cover mounted reflex sights work fine.

If you're expecting to keep a zero with glass optics (for the other end of the projectiles range), you're in for a bad time.

If you're operating at egg tossing distance, dust cover mounted reflex sights work fine.

If you're expecting to keep a zero with glass optics (for the other end of the projectiles range), you're in for a bad time.

This is about what I figured since even the smallest drift off zero is magnified the further the operating distance becomes, however, since these S12s are designed primarily for close quarter combat it's difficult to imagine why anyone would want to mount a high powered scope anywhere on the platform. Granted, some may try to mount these onto some of the Saiga rifles available such as with a .308 but if long distance accuracy is a top priority there are probably better optics and mount options out there.

From what I can tell the advantage with this design is it allows a reflex sight to be mounted further back to provide a much more preferable eye relief distance for home defense/close quarter combat type scenarios. Plus it flows beautifully with the HK sights and is just an all around great looking part.

Zach

Also Naolith has been quoted that only the sights will work on the dust cover but an optic on a dust cover rail is not a workable option.
So why am I not running to get one of those? Simple, the rail is useless.

I'm not quite sure I understand this. How is it that HK sights welded to the top cover be fine but an HK sight base that happens to have an extended rail and is also TIG welded on (as opposed to bolted on) be rendered useless? It seems to me this rail would be just as efficient as the HK sights, if not more so, and thus would imply an optic mounted to that rail would be effecient as well.

Next, even if we assumed your statement was correct we're still talking about a close quarters combat weapon, not a high precision carbine rifle. When you say it won't hold zero by what degree are your refferring to and what is the cause and frequency of movement? Further, what effect we are talking about in real life combat terms of up to 20 yards at the most? Would the down range effects within that limited distance and with buck shot ammunition really be significant enough to be considered "useless" as you stated?

I'm not looking to use the sights for the S12, I'm looking to use it as back-up irons for an S308 or S223. For that, the rail on the dustcover is useless. I fully expect to use better optics mounted on a solid side rail mount for primary use. What I want is a better set of irons (something with a better sight radius) than stock to go to when and if I strip off the side rail.

BTW, I don't care to have any irons on an S12. For that gun, I either use an optic or I just point and shoot.

Edited by FrustratedInCali