solution to keeping bolt closed & loaded

ACA128.jpg

This ammo is made by Silver Bear. I dont know how good it is or anything. However, in theory, if the whole casing is made of metal and you load the first shot with this silver bear ammo, you should be able to keep the bolt closed indefinately and at the ready without squishing the round and risking a feed failure. :unsure:

Any thoughts?

ACA128.jpg

This ammo is made by Silver Bear. I dont know how good it is or anything. However, in theory, if the whole casing is made of metal and you load the first shot with this silver bear ammo, you should be able to keep the bolt closed indefinately and at the ready without squishing the round and risking a feed failure. :unsure:

Any thoughts?

It will work but your first round out in a HD situation will be that (I believe some sort of lighter shot load) instead of buck or a slug. Just something to think about, that may be your 1st an only shot. I would rather keep the bolt open on a nice 00 buck. You can buy brass 12 gauge shells from a bunch of different places (cowboy action guys use them) and load your own buck shells. The brass shells do take some specialized reloading equipment though as compared to loading plastic shells. But hey you've spent this much why not a bit more.

I've seen these rounds a couple times. Never shot them though. I'm a life member in SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) aka "Cowboy Action Shooting". I sold a bunch of full length brass casings last year. Probably should have kept them, huh? LOL

Corbin

Use a bolt hold-open selector lever. Use whatever ammo you want. Only downside to this solution is you can't load it +1.

MarkIVSafety.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on reloading the silverbear or something similar. I keep the bolt open now. I have a BHO on my gun but Im not sure what it does to the life of the spring.

Use a bolt hold-open selector lever. Use whatever ammo you want. Only downside to this solution is you can't load it +1.

MarkIVSafety.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on reloading the silverbear or something similar. I keep the bolt open now. I have a BHO on my gun but Im not sure what it does to the life of the spring.

Springs are not worn out from being compressed. They are worn out from the action of being compressed/expanded repeatedly. (I.E. loading/unloading magazines or shooting a firearm and the bold cycling.) You can leave magazines loaded and leave the bolt held open on your gun with no worry of damage unless you have defective springs in wich case having the magazines unloaded or bolt closed wont make a difference.

If springs wore out by just being compressed we would be in trouble. As long as your spring is made from the properly stressed steel then keeping it compressed is just like keeping it uncompressed.

Thanks for the imput guys. Once again, you all have answered my questions. :)

Here on the forum others have cross drilled a small hole through the mag at a location where when you push down on the top round you then insert a small diameter pin across the mag on top of the brass portion of the round which holds down the round such that it does not press up against the bolt. You then pull out the pin as first action in racking the bolt to load the round. In that way the top round has never pressed against the bolt so is not deformed.

Does add a step to the process tho'.