Saiga Sporter 7.62x39 with hi-cap mags

Got a 7.62x39 Saiga, and I don't mind the sporter stock ... so far. ;)

From what I understand a Sporter Saiga rifle has 14 foreign parts.

I am looking for the simplest and/or cheapest way to make it legal.

I would prefer external parts, but I know the piston is cheapest.

How hard is the piston to swap out?

I currently have 3 surefire 30 rd plastic mags and the Tapco Saiga/Galil front hand guard.

For me to legally use 30 round Surefire plastic magazines I need to do what for 922r compliance?

3 Parts in a Surefire USA Magazine.

1 Part from a USA built front hand guard.

14-4 = 10 foreign parts

Is that enough?

Any opinions or options are welcomed.

surefire = OVER PRICED try somewhere else get a bullet guide and some cheap 20$ mags best deal

Sigh, he has to stay 922 compliant, thats why he needs a US made mag, and one more part, the dinzag non-convert FCG is an option, also, a US piston would work.

how does the mag count as 3?? having 3 mags doesn't count as 3 either. you have to subtract foreign parts, not just add a bunch of US parts
(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

How, indeed.
how does the mag count as 3?? having 3 mags doesn't count as 3 either. you have to subtract foreign parts, not just add a bunch of US parts
(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

How, indeed.

well I'll be damned.... so domestic mags count as 3?? I kept asking that cause I wasn't sure and no one explained it..... I stand corrected.

rock on!

I feel like a smacked ass

Saiga specific 30 round USA made, you are limited to Sure Fire and Promag. Both work, though the Surefire is a much better mag. If you modify it to take inexpensive, idestructable Milsurp mags,just replace the follower and base for 2 US parts, also US Handguard and hammer, and you are good to go.

Saiga specific 30 round USA made, you are limited to Sure Fire and Promag. Both work, though the Surefire is a much better mag. If you modify it to take inexpensive, idestructable Milsurp mags,just replace the follower and base for 2 US parts, also US Handguard and hammer, and you are good to go.

Thanks for the tip.

Is a piston a hard to replace?

What is easier to modify gun for AK mags or AK mags to fit Saiga?

What is legal to modify gun for AK mags or AK mags to fit Saiga?

Thanks for the tip.

I've never changed a piston, but answers to #2 and #3

CHange the Saiga to accept AK military metal mags, and all high capacity AK mags will work. Add a $30 bullet guide from dinzag (15-20 minutes) and file a little at a time from the mag catch.

As for what is legal, if you are keeping it stock sporter, US made AK mags will count as three of the 4 922 parts you need. Put a $60 Tapco Galil Handguard, and you will be good to go. If you want to use foreign AK mags, you would need to replace three items like piston, hammer, and stock.

Thanks for the tip.

I've never changed a piston, but answers to #2 and #3

CHange the Saiga to accept AK military metal mags, and all milsurp/milspec AK mags will work. Add a $30 bullet guide from dinzag (15-20 minutes) and file a little at a time from the mag catch.

As for what is legal, if you are keeping it stock sporter, US made AK mags will count as three of the 4 922 parts you need. Put a $60 Tapco Galil Handguard, and you will be good to go. If you want to use foreign AK mags, you would need to replace three items like piston, hammer, and stock.

The "high cap mag" is as mythical as a unicorn.

Please stop vindicating the anti's choice of words.