<I removed the poll, as the answers were 95% in favor and its done>

Im kinda torn, as I like parkerised finishes, but I really am tired of finding rust on the thing constantly too....so Im on the fence about it....

My real toss-up is do I paint it and never have to worry about rust anymore, or do I leave it parkerised, so that I dont have to worry about cooking the paint off (I get this particular rifle so hot, the barrel turns yellow from the impurities in the oil burning off)

Gotta go practical over pretty if it's a gun you use a whole lot, even if it pains you. You'll get used to the new look and love the rifle just as much, maybe more since it'll require less maintenance.

Just my $.02

thanks guys, im gonna sleep on it, and find time later in the week to get this done. I do want to see if any other colors are available in this particular paint before i decide what to do (battleship flage, might be in the works).

I do appreciate it guys, thanks. Ill document the little there will be as a thank you for the opinions. If i can even get another color of this paint, I will try to remember to take some "midway" pics for ya'll.

I really am sick of the rust on this particular gun. It sits ready in my house all of the time.

If you like the park, id try and keep it. tw-25b is good long lasting product you might want to try, and alot of people recommend mixing Kroil and CLP 50/50, but CLP itself isnt very long lasting by itself, and im not sure the penetrating abilities of Kroil (which are great) would change that much.

Also, if you have rust now, you really can only slow it down, in order to stop it completely you need to remove all the rust entirely, and then look at finish.

Cerakote is also a fine finish you might consider, originally developed for exhaust headers. It goes on easy, and isnt too messy, wears nice. hell, i dont know if they carry it in their firearms line, but they have an exhaust coating that is clear, if you want to maintain the park colour.

If you do go with the engine paint, you may want to try and keep it thin, ive seen that stuf get thick pretty quick.

Good Luck

I know what works, its ok. I was thinking that my other paint color might be grey, and considering the pattern, already, SOPMOD.

I guess if i cook it off somehow, f it, ill just repaint it right?

thats kinda what i thought....shame to waste this nice pakerised finish though, but i think im gonna do it, f it.

thank you for the unanimous replies/votes.....whadda you think, nalioth? im curious.....

acid bath, grease cutter, then paint. then oven at 350. gotcha. im not a n00b, just wanted to reassure myself of the correct way to go.....paint or paker, paker or paint....HMMMMM....you guys are right i guess.

I guess this particular gun warrants good treatment, as it fed me in times when I needed food/meat. I should follow the saiga example, huh.....

Let me see what i can come up with, I already like the finish, even on test metal.......

Bvamp,

I go through the same thing here in Georgia, but probably just not quite as bad as what you are experiencing right now. If it were mine, and this is only my opinion, I would think along the lines of "Work smarter, not harder" and paint the gun. I love park as well, but ease and lower maintenance almost always prevails. Wish you luck in whatever direction you take.

well, considering its still 100% in favor of painting it, i guess my consideration is justified, and I shouldnt feel bad about it. Now i just have to see what other colors this stuff comes in, and consider if I want to try a camo job on it.

LOL asshole.....thanks J - problem is, oiling it isnt friggin working, as it sits loaded in the corner, not in a case in the closet where I cant get to it fast if I need it.

You're using the wrong oil then!

:-D

Get that colored stuff that coats and then dries, leaving you with a different finish look.... what do you call it, ... oh yah, paint.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

Well, I just test painted and cooked a part for my shotgun that Max gave me last year, and it turned out pretty frickin good. I cant find a semi flat paint like this in any color than black (well there is flat white and flat grey engine primers, which i still may go with), so im a bit peeved that I cant do a camo job, but it is looking like next week, ill get it done.

it aint duracoat, or cera coat, or moly resin, but it will do for my particular "hick" needs.....although I may switch to a 1000 degree paint, as this is only 500 degree ceramic engine paint.....the gun its going on I run HOT

Well, I just test painted and cooked a part for my shotgun that Max gave me last year, and it turned out pretty frickin good. I cant find a semi flat paint like this in any color than black (well there is flat white and flat grey engine primers, which i still may go with), so im a bit peeved that I cant do a camo job, but it is looking like next week, ill get it done.

it aint duracoat, or cera coat, or moly resin, but it will do for my particular "hick" needs.....although I may switch to a 1000 degree paint, as this is only 500 degree ceramic engine paint.....the gun its going on I run HOT

Get Vjor to hook you up with a camo paint job

yeh, but should i save the pakerising? Im going to have time to take it apart and paint it, Tues.

I see someone else thinks pakerising is better....I wanna hear it, whoever you are.

I will remind people reading this thread, that this gun is CHAMBERED AND LOADED behind my front door. I dont put it in a case.....The light rust is an annoyance, really.......but i am tired of it......

I HAVE had to "kick" the bolt open on this same gun, for you "AK" guys.......I think thats my major motivation to painting......I guess if i burn the paint off, that will be a "bad day", huh? :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, its off my little weber charcoal grill finally, and I think it looks goddamned awesome, to be honest. I have tested the paint in a few ways already, to be sure, and due to representing Cadiz Gun Works, I am not disclosing what products I used, or the processes......I hope ya'll understand that....

heres a pic of before.....I have more, of worse rusting, and some metal damage, but you get the idea ---

post-83-1245225373.jpg

and a couple of after - I think it looks better, to be honest. If I burn the stuff off of the barrel, I will refinish the front end with something else I found, in gloss. I honestly dont see it happening, but you never know....all I know is that I HAD to do something.....the parkerised metal was beginning to get damaged....if i didnt completely kill all the rust, I know what to do, and will deal with that as it comes, as well.....not a big deal, for my "door" gun......now about dealing with the finish on my s12........

post-83-1245225497.jpg

post-83-1245225554.jpg

now about dealing with the finish on my s12........

Why? whats going on with the finish on your S-12?

OH BTW... thanks for closing the poll... no one ever closes the polls...

Edited by Nailbomb

Nailbomb - for years, I have intentionally abused the living heck out of my 12 gauge. all of that abuse has nicked the paint in many places, and all those little nicks from forcing through heavy cover after whitetail, or knocking the gun over, or even to prove my point to those that never saw one of these guns (most hadnt when I showed up on the saiga scene) Id even drop it on the ground after emptying it at some clays. I havent been easy on the thing intentionally, and its just in need of some love is all. Even the internals show signs of 10k rounds. When I do decide what Im going to do with it, Ill be sure to document it. I put a factory stock back on it for demonstration purposes down here just recently, and actually pulled a small piece of one of the rusted up rotten shotshells I froze, and then fired down the gun about 5 winters ago, when I took the wood stock back off....

I havent hailed this gun just because I think its cool. I MADE it prove itself to me, and it has, and I have screamed bloody hell about it since....As I said years ago, every gun owning American household should have at least one of the 12 gauge Saigas.

Nailbomb - for years, I have intentionally abused the living heck out of my 12 gauge. all of that abuse has nicked the paint in many places, and all those little nicks from forcing through heavy cover after whitetail, or knocking the gun over, or even to prove my point to those that never saw one of these guns (most hadnt when I showed up on the saiga scene) Id even drop it on the ground after emptying it at some clays. I havent been easy on the thing intentionally, and its just in need of some love is all. Even the internals show signs of 10k rounds. When I do decide what Im going to do with it, Ill be sure to document it. I put a factory stock back on it for demonstration purposes down here just recently, and actually pulled a small piece of one of the rusted up rotten shotshells I froze, and then fired down the gun about 5 winters ago, when I took the wood stock back off....

I havent hailed this gun just because I think its cool. I MADE it prove itself to me, and it has, and I have screamed bloody hell about it since....As I said years ago, every gun owning American household should have at least one of the 12 gauge Saigas.

I can't claim 10k rounds yet but i know what you mean about the gun starting to show wear. I've treated my S-12 worse than any firearm i've ever owned in a very short period of time. I can't imagine over the course of time your talking about. Definitly good stuff to hear it puts up with the abuse though!

I'm looking at duracoat, H&K dark. possibly parking it first.

Look foward to hearing about the next project you have on the table.

• 1 month later...

I used ceramic engine paint on mine and it can take the heat from the barrel. The Saiga came painted so painting it will not be blasphemy furthermore if it protects your Saiga from rusting then go for it. The extra corrosion protection plus the chrome lined barrel will protect your investment.