Who does the best conversion

I just got a new saiga 12 and I'm looking forward to unleashing it's full potential by converting it. Although I concider myself gun-savy, I'm no gunsmith and don't fell confortable tackling this project myself. I have seen several businesses on this forum advertising conversion services (CGW, Tromix, etc.) for verying prices and options. In yall's opinion, who does the best conversion on an S-12 and who offers the best value. :dollar:

'preciate it yall. B)

You don't have to be a gunsmith to convert your Saiga 12 yourself. Of course, it all depends on what specific features you're looking for, but if you use the Tromix DIY triggerguard, you don't even have to cut or drill any holes in your receiver... and that design is pretty solid. Many people here have used it for years and it's held up well for them.

I chose to use an akbuilder triggerguard, (which meant I had to drill some holes and the cut a pistol grip hole in the receiver), with a CAA UPG47 pistol grip, (my favorite AK grip). I also chose to go with an Ace internal receiver block, push-button folding mechanism, and ultra-lite stock. This made cutting the tang off my rear trunnion necessary. I had never cut/drilled into any firearm before this conversion process. Overall, it was easier than I thought it would be. I stressed and sweated over the pistol grip hole, but I measured 10 times since I could only cut once, and it turned out just dandy. Same with the holes I had to drill for my triggerguard. Cutting and filing off the tang was a picnic by comparison.

Point is, it's really not that tough to do this yourself, if you have a drill, dremel, file, set of punches, and a reasonable amount of patience. If I had it to do over again, I might go with the Tromix DIY triggerguard because it's so much easier... then again, I like the more "classic AK" shape of the triggerguard I used, and it along with my pistol grip are technically more securely installed the way I did it.

Unless you absolutely require some welding be done on your shotgun, (and shit, you might be able to do that yourself as well, depending on your tools/talent), you should just convert your Saiga 12 yourself, imo.

Might wanna state your location if asking for recommendation of a good gunsmith...

...assuming you don't you wanna wait a lot longer and pay $30+ each way for insured UPS (definitely worth it for some gunsmiths).

Edited by slyguy

There's enough tutorials out there on Youtube for just about any do-it-yourselfer to do a basic conversion. Just look at www.carolinashooterssupply.com Greg there has links to his videos on a basic conversion using the parts that he sells. If you can use a hand drill, a simple grinder or Dremel tool along with some basic household tools, the conversion can be done in an afternoon. Key points: three screws holding the stock (one inside the receiver under the dust cover), maker sure the forward trigger guard screw doesn't stick out more than a 1/4" inside the receiver under the hammer. There are a few other things like the BHO spring but see the video first on CSS site. We'll see you again on the boards. Have fun converting.

BTW, convesions from a converter can cost you anywhere from $500 - $1000 depending on how exotic you want yours to be. That and a lead time of more than a year for some converters. The parts for a basic do-it-yourself conversion will cost you about $170 so its up to you how you want to go. Kinda depends on how patient and how deep your pockets are.

I think most of the business members here can do the job.

You need to look at your needs. Some components are only available to folks who are having their gun done by that builder.

I decided to use Will at Red Jacket Firearms to complete my build. Mostly due to time constraints. At the time Tromix had a long wait and he was no longer taking orders. I have only one Saiga and am very happy with the results. I would recommend Will in a second the folks at Red Jacket were always available via phone or E-mail and did a great job.

post-9223-1244224646_thumb.jpgpost-9223-1244224676_thumb.jpg

I just got a new saiga 12 and I'm looking forward to unleashing it's full potential by converting it. Although I concider myself gun-savy, I'm no gunsmith and don't fell confortable tackling this project myself. I have seen several businesses on this forum advertising conversion services (CGW, Tromix, etc.) for verying prices and options. In yall's opinion, who does the best conversion on an S-12 and who offers the best value. :dollar:

'preciate it yall. B)

Any of the advertisers can do the job. Will at Red Jacket is excellent as they all are. I did my own conversion after getting feedback

and prompting from all the guys on this forum. Believe me,If I can do it anyone can. I too had never grinded or cut on a firearm

before, but with the video's on youtube and help from the Saiga dudes on this forum I did it. Took it out and shot it for the first time

after the conversion and it kicks ass!!! Use the Tromix trigger guard and FCG. Also doing it yourself gives you an innate knowledge

of this shotgun and it becomes your baby cause you created it.GOOD LUCK!!

Might wanna state your location if asking for recommendation of a good gunsmith...

...assuming you don't you wanna wait a lot longer and pay $30+ each way for insured UPS (definitely worth it for some gunsmiths).

Sorry for not stating my location,

I'm in upstate South Carolina :up: