Cutting down the SureFire mags

Those of you who have cut down a SureFire mag; do you simply cut through the spring at the same point that you cut through the mag, or is there something else I need to do special with the spring? I need to cut one of mine down to make a legal hunting mag for Ohio.

Thanks!

I have only cut one of mine from 12 to 8. I didn't touch the spring.

I'm not sure of what to do going all the way down to a 2 rounder. I think I would just buy a 2 rounder from CSS before neutering a mag that much. I actually fucked up when I cut mine. I meant to cut it down to 10 rounds. :angry:

I have only cut one of mine from 12 to 8. I didn't touch the spring.

I'm not sure of what to do going all the way down to a 2 rounder. I think I would just buy a 2 rounder from CSS before neutering a mag that much. I actually fucked up when I cut mine. I meant to cut it down to 10 rounds. :angry:

I have enough of 'em that I'm not too worried about 'neutering' one that badly. I have to, though, to hunt with it here in Ohio.

yeah, when cutting down from 12 to 10-8, ya don't mod the spring.

Now going down to 5 rnds or less, I would think ya'd need to mod the spring.

I'd be thinking about what the average spring force was for the 8-12, and then use some sort of scale, e.g. fish or trigger pull, to figure how much spring ya need before cutting.

I just went ahead and bought a Surefire 2 rnd in case I go outta state.

Two ways to go, leave the spring the length it is which leaves you a longer mag and cut the mag tube enough for the entrire spring and two rounds. You bascialy have the same feed situation as the top two rounds in a full length mag.

Or cut the spring and the mag which will give you the shortest possible mag length and will feed like the last two rounds in the mag. For a general idea on how much to cut the spring remove it and compare it to the mag tube, if its 3 coils longer than the mag tube then cut the spring to be 3 coils longer than the mag tube cut to hold 2 rounds.