I can't get some of it to copy over.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=10473040

Pastor encouraging people to bring guns to church

VALLEY STATION, KY (WAVE) - Church shootings have been in the headlines for the past few years, so when a local church announced that it is asking people to bring guns to church we wanted to know why.

Most people consider church a sanctuary, a place of peace. But recently, church shootings have been in the headlines. Last Sunday, Kansas abortion Dr. George Tiller was shot and killed while ushering at his church. In March, an Illinois pastor was killed and two parishioners injured after a gunman opened fire during Sunday services. In July 2008, a gunman killed two people at a church youth performance in Knoxville, Tennessee. Despite this news, Ken Pagano, pastor of New Bethel Church in Valley Station, is encouraging people to bring their guns to church on June 27.

"This is for anybody that believes in second amendment rights. And that is the buttress to first amendment rights," said Pagano.

Pagano, a concealed carry instructor who served in the Marine Corps, is holding what he calls an Open Carry Celebration.

"We're trying to promote responsible gun ownership and gun safety," Pagano said.

People can come into the church wearing their gun as long as the weapon is unloaded and in a secure holster.

"People in this community with all the negativity that goes with firearms and what I call unhealthy paranoia. Kentucky is an open carry state," said Pagano.

"We are going back to the wild, wild west" said Rev. James Tennyson of the Justice Resource Center.

The Open Carry Celebration isn't sitting well with Tennyson. "Anytime you bring any type of weapons into a house of God, it bothers me."

Within the past three years, Tennyson says the JRC has gotten at least 300 guns off the streets through their gun buyback program. He says bringing guns into the house of God, even if they are unloaded, is sending the wrong message. Pagano disagrees.

"This will be the safest place in town that day," said Pagano.

According to Pagano, a local police officer will provide security at the open carry celebration, which will be a picnic-like setting with food and games. There will even be a raffle to win a gun.

Pagano said the money raised will go to a local charity, not the church. Area gun store and firing range owners will be on hand to talk about safety.

They don't work to well when empty. It might even serve as a way to see what everyone has. :unsure: I guess they could be loaded on the way to and home.?

Some states , and cities have laws that prohibit firearms, or loaded firearms on Church property. I wonder if that is why it was worded like that? As in wink wink yea bring them unloaded, but we're not going to check to see if they are loaded or not?

I know some guys that run a CCW class and they go to church armed...they cover any area an armed attacker would come from. In such an event, one guy steps between the attacker and pastor, and one gets the pastor out. I believe their pastor was a good friend of the one that was shot and killed a while back (edit - the illinois one), which is what got them thinking about how to deal with an armed intruder...pretty good idea for all churches to at least assess their vulnerability.

Edited by sidewinderl
People can come into the church wearing their gun as long as the weapon is unloaded...

Most likely an Insurance ploy. I doubt that they check them.

Law abiding citizens should be able to carry anywhere. I am a law abiding citizen and in my 61 years I have never shot anyone. The last 8 years I have had a concealed carry permit and still no shootings. Schools, churches, bars... anywhere should be legal if you hold a CCW. I do not believe one should be able to carry in a court room thou..... emotions may take over.....

Edited by Lakedweller