Hello saiga friends, I was introduced to this forum about a week ago by a good buddy on /k/. I received my rifle today (with dimples receiver). I'm planning on doing a conversion to an AK-103 or as close as possible.

I planned on doing the standard pistol grip conversion, Ace folding stock, drill and tap bullet guide, possibly replacing the fsb and installing muzzle break.

First, a few questions:

1. Why are all these parts so ridiculously overpriced? It puts me in a dilemma. The bolt-on lower retainer is $85+$33 gas tube+$19 upper HG+$42 lower hg, total $180, all for the authentic ak-103 handguard setup.

Then the Ace folding stock $65+$45 internal block+$60 folding mechanism, total $170 for just the folding stock setup

$26 bullet guide kit

$10 retaining plate

$30 tapco g2 trigger group

$389 for the saiga + $416 for the parts (excluding new fsb and authentic muzzle brake) +plus time&labor(shoddy amateur work at best)

I'm really starting to think it was a better idea to buy a preconverted saiga ak-103 from atlantic firearms done by Will Red Jacket for $959 (right now). Albeit, it doesn't have a folding stock or dimples, but the professional labor and muzzle brake makes up for it.

2. How much did it cost you to convert it to an ak-103 excluding the price of the saiga?

3. I heard that removing the fsb and installing a new one is such a pain in the ass, is it even worth it for the ak-103 look?

4.Am I missing anything important? I probably will have to buy a hacksaw, tap wrench, centerpunch and dremel as well to do everything. That will add even more to the cost.

5.Is this all going to be worth it in the end? I'm not doing this for fun. How much will my saiga ak-103 be worth (that's without the muzzle brake)?

If you're going for an AK-103 look.......an Ace stock isn't going to make it happen. Same goes if you don't include the brake.

AK-103.JPG

I'm not doing this for fun. How much will my saiga ak-103 be worth (that's without the muzzle brake)?[/b]

So are you only doing this to re-sell after you convert it? Your gun, your money, your choice.......I'm just curious.

Edited by 22_Shooter
If you're going for an AK-103 look.......an Ace stock isn't going to make it happen. Same goes if you don't include the brake.

AK-103.JPG

I'm not doing this for fun. How much will my saiga ak-103 be worth (that's without the muzzle brake)?[/b]

So are you only doing this to re-sell after you convert it? Your gun, your money, your choice.......I'm just curious.

No, I won't resell it, unless the price rise really high. I do want to know how much it will be worth compared to the other option so I can make the proper decision. There's no use in letting sentiment get in the way. A converted rifle done by a reputable gunsmith will obviously demand a higher resale value.

About the Ace stock, yea, but what can you do? I looked everywhere for the triangle russian folding stock but it's simply out of stock or $200+.

Will's conversion includes the muzzle brake. I can't see myself being able to do that at home. I'm waiting on his reply to know if it's installed on a threaded fsb or threaded barrel. The quote he gave me was not much higher than doing it myself, especially with buying the tools and potential screw up.

About the Ace stock, yea, but what can you do? I looked everywhere for the triangle russian folding stock but it's simply out of stock or $200+.

AK-103's don't have triangle folding stocks. The picture above is of an AK-103.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of the Krinkov style stock. If that's the case then, I haven't seen an AK-103 folding sold anywhere.

Do you know where I might find one?

You've got to pay to play.

Patience is sometimes required (finding the correct parts for your goals).

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of the Krinkov style stock. If that's the case then, I haven't seen an AK-103 folding sold anywhere.

Do you know where I might find one?

The last ones I saw were when One Source somehow got a small handful of Arsenals supply (I think?)

The set was about $225 if I recall http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp...&ProdID=557

You also might keep checking Kvar to see if they start coming back into the pipeline

Remember to stay with the 4.5mm pin/hinge unless you want to hassle with the much harder to find, morer expensive, and more original?, russian 5.5mm pin design.

Good luck

Harv

I've decided I'm not going to make it an AK-103 clone. It cost too much from over-inflated price due to scarcity of parts. Muzzle break is nothing more than riced out bling on a semi-automatic and causes hearing damage.

I'll still put on a folding stock though, for portability.

Edited by GoodFriendlyNeighbor

I'm going through something similar, really want an authentic looking 103 but can't afford to do it. I'm going to get it close and worry about the FSB/Bayonet/cleaning rod later and then I'll finish it with a better folding stock. maybe doing it in stages is a route you should look at

basically, which is more important? being functional and cost effective or authentic looking and high resale value? I'm going functional and somewhat cheap and working towards authentic gradually..... screw resale value, not parting with AKs

I made all my orders yesterday.

The only authentic parts will be the pistol grip, receiver (dimples) and kvar handguard. It really hurts to pay $180 for a handguard setup, especially the retainer, but at least this serves a purpose and works better than the tapco galil.

Then I went with the Romanian wire folding stock since it's cheaper than both the tapco and ace setup, made of real steel and not polymer, never heard a report of it breaking, unlike the other two.

Now we'll see if there's a pistol hole under that plate and the bullet feed goes in smoothly.

Dimples? Cool. I read that they don't have a PG hole cut. Field strip your rifle and take a look down in the receiver to see if the hole is there. It should be just in front of the unconverted factory trigger cut.