GALIL STYLE SAFETY

Hey, guys. Old school member her who tried his damnest to use the search feature to find someone making/selling the Galil style safety switches. No matter how specific I tried to be, I kept getting about 15 pages of returns.

I seen someone on here making them, but cant remember who. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Galil style safeties for my Saigas?

Are you talking about the left side thumb safety? If so, there are two designs-one is push to fire, the other is pull to fire position. The first requires a rocker (change of dirrection) device and came on a lot of semi auto Galil. The second is more common as it was used on most FA versions but really isn't ergonomic. I know of no exhisting drop in unit. I know at one time Krebs had AK's with the feature. Most likely you're going to have to find the parts and modify. CGW was toying with a design at one time and Tony has a post from back in the day where he modded one. I could be mistaken, but I think JT Engineering also has something in the works, but it's a completely different design.

• 4 weeks later...

I found them!!! Galil thumb safety's that go forward for 'Off Safe'! They're expensive ($65) and I'm not sure if these guys are reputable or not but they list them as in stock.

Edited by Nailbomb
Remove Non_buisness member link

Yeah... Not exactly reputable, akpartskits.com is Blackthorne which is formerly Hesse/Vulcan/Joeken.

You probably have the idea by now, or know at least 5 names for which you can google ripoff reports. They probably, collectively, have the worst reputation of any firearms company in existence, actually, just by their persistence in still being around, without reforming. That being said, Ive purchased from them in the past, but I would be wary about that one, the fact that they have always been more than willing to take money in the past, before they have an item in hand, and that there is no picture availiable would make a bit wary.

Sorry, i kinda forgot about this thread

The standard Galil safety is just two pieces, and works fine, in my exp. Unfortunately, it also doesnt fit in a saiga, the two rear legs from the trunion come too far foreward and wont let the rifle come to fire, without some serious grinding on the piece that holds the rear of your rifle together. :cryss: You can however make your own slightly bent version of the same, without too much work, using the original safety, if you make some measurements. It just sits on the end of the safety lever itself, and is pretty simple.

now if you have your heart set on an inverted safety, ive never tried on a saiga, but i have some pictures of them, you can use your judgement to see if you think it will fit under the trunion or not. as you can see, they consist of four parts (what is this, an AR?) work exactly the same way, with a pivet point on the PG nut, and attaching to an additional lug on the safety. If the one BT sells doesnt have the PG nut, or whatever other ideas they have, its pretty much useless.

If you want to buy original Galil Parts, to look at or to modify, look at SARCO, they also have a poor customer service reputation, but not because they lied, cheated and walked off with customers money, just because they are usually grumpy old men who are tired of going the extra mile. :) they have always done fine by me, though im not sure what parts they have in stock these days.

post-3313-1248984293_thumb.jpg

post-3313-1248984302_thumb.jpg

post-3313-1248984314_thumb.jpg

and yeah, thats probably why there is no picture, they are listing each piece separately, and hoping someone buys them so they can force them to buy the others to make it work

Im guessing you would need:

selector, left, inversed -- selector, left, for "inversed" left selector where forward is fire $65

selector, right, inversed -- selector, right, for "inversed" left selector where forward is fire $95

base, pistol grip, for inversed selector -- base, pistol grip, for inversed left selector $85

at least, just to play.

Don't buy just the one item that is linked to above and think it is the whole mechanism, it is just the one lever.

also, the above pictures arent mine, i just happened to have saved them when they were up last time, and dont remember who took them, or id give credit.

I bought the Galil thumb safety parts from akpartskits.com and had them shipped to etac for my build. I had no luck getting in touch with them to make sure the parts had shipped, but I did finally get confirmation from Esteban that the parts had arrived. I didn't have a problem contacting them before purchasing, however. I ordered parts for the froward=fire kit(inversed), there is a also a forward=safe kit.

I ordered the parts that ReverendFranz listed:

base, pistol grip, for inversed selector (G-00.706.1030) <-------I believe this includes the special grip nut

selector, left, inversed (G-00.706.1001-2)

selector, right, inversed (G-00.708.1090-2)

• 2 weeks later...

Went on vacation for a couple weeks and forgot I posted this! $245 (plus shipping I'm sure) is overly expensive to get the thumb safety but it's one of those things that I've always wanted to do to keep my AK 'as AK as possible'. I will check SARCO out. Thanks for the info Rev!

If you wanted to "keep it as AK as possible" you wouldn't change the safety. ;) By the time I'm node with my saiga it will be more expensive than my M11. :unsure:

Good point. The Galil safety is 'AK Derivitive' and pretty unobtrusive. Ah well, one day I'll have it.

I already have about $1000 extra into my M11 with more coming. If you haven't looked into one I would highly recommend a Lage Max-11 upper. It's the best thing I did for mine.

I bought the Galil thumb safety parts from akpartskits.com and had them shipped to etac for my build. I had no luck getting in touch with them to make sure the parts had shipped, but I did finally get confirmation from Esteban that the parts had arrived. I didn't have a problem contacting them before purchasing, however. I ordered parts for the froward=fire kit(inversed), there is a also a forward=safe kit.

base, pistol grip, for inversed selector (G-00.706.1030) <-------I believe this includes the special grip nut

When you get your firearm back... take LOTS of pictures please :) I am seriously considering this modification. The left side of the rear trunnion needs modification to get it to fit. I would like to see pics before I start cutting.

Thanks!

When you get your firearm back... take LOTS of pictures please :) I am seriously considering this modification. The left side of the rear trunnion needs modification to get it to fit. I would like to see pics before I start cutting.

Will do. It will be a while, probably 3 months or more, before I get it back.

Thanks!

Same here. I will definately be keeping an eye on this thread. I have a gun that is getting the Jack Travers sliding safety installed right now. I (like Jack and a few others) believe the safety on the AK SUCKS. Yeah yeah, I know that its functional and thats the way Mr. Kalishnikov intended, but ERGONOMICALLY..... it SUCKS.... To each his own.... The best way to engage/disengage ANY safety is to be able to do it as easily as possible, with as little hand movement as necessary.

This inverse galil safety sounds very interesting. Almost AR15ish lol