3 Questions for Choke Shooters

First, if 00 buckshot has an average spread of 1"/yard without a choke, what is the approximate average spread with a Full Choke?

Second, is there such a thing as a Horizontal Choke? IE, one that would keep the pellets tighter along the Vertical plane, but allow them to spread out along

the Horizontal plane.

Third, Has anyone come up with a "quick attach" choke tube that would fit after the muzzlebreak? My thought being that this may make the muzzlebreak a bit more useful, at least during shot shooting. Could be wrong, which is why I'm asking.

Lifa Rettur og Deyja Vel,

Mikel

First, if 00 buckshot has an average spread of 1"/yard without a choke, what is the approximate average spread with a Full Choke?

Second, is there such a thing as a Horizontal Choke? IE, one that would keep the pellets tighter along the Vertical plane, but allow them to spread out along

the Horizontal plane.

Third, Has anyone come up with a "quick attach" choke tube that would fit after the muzzlebreak? My thought being that this may make the muzzlebreak a bit more useful, at least during shot shooting. Could be wrong, which is why I'm asking.

Mikel

check out Ak builders choke adapter. I haven't seen it here beforehttp://www.ak-builder.com/

Chokes are not intended for use with buckshot!

the Horizontal plane.

Mikel

1. Don't shoot large buckshot in a full choke.

2. The Horizontal Choke exists (or, at least, existed) as whats called a Duckbill Spreader (or choke)...if you Google it you will find some info on it though I doubt you will find one or be happy with it if you did.

3. The Lyman Cutts Compensator is just that...a "quick attach/detach" external choke mounted after a muzzlebreak (compensator) but have apparently been discontinued by the manufacturer.

I'm not buying the horizontal "spreader" coolaid. Chances are, you're going to be shooting at a vertical target in a defensive or offensive situation. You would want the shot pellets to run more vertically, to put more lead on your target, and less on the bystanders.

Tony

I'm not buying the horizontal "spreader" coolaid. Chances are, you're going to be shooting at a vertical target in a defensive or offensive situation. You would want the shot pellets to run more vertically, to put more lead on your target, and less on the bystanders.

Tony

Well, here's another opinion......

"The point man of Navy SEAL teams(during the VietNam War) liked to carry the Ithaca M37 for the firepower it could bring to bear in the jungle where engagements were usually fought a point-blank range. The Navy also made up some modified Ithaca M37s for its SEALs. The magazine tube was extended almost to the muzzle of the 20-inch barrel and its latch lug was repositioned. The trench gun ventilated handguard was not used. The modified M37 could now carry two additional rounds for a total of eight. A shot spreader (commonly called a "duck bill") was attached to the end of the barrel. The shot spreader's purpose was to flatten the shot group exiting the barrel from a circular pattern to an oval pattern. The shot spreader gave more coverage of the target at usual engagement ranges. These guns are now quite rare. Since the end of hostilities in Viet Nam, combat shotguns in the military inventory have been augmented by militarized versions of the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. Nevertheless, the Ithaca M37 was a proven, useful tool. They are probably still in the racks of Naval Special Warfare armories."

Would seem that in a hostile situation with either/and/or moving targets(crossways) or several targets in relative line(as if advanceing?), the duck bill(horizontal) would prove more effective. However you are correct that in a bystander ridden situation, it would be more of a liability.

LRoDV,

Mikel