Converting Saiga 7.62x39 to accept AK mags

Newbie here. I know this question must have been asked in the past> Can you convert a Saiga 7.62x39 to accept AK47 mags? I bought a Saiga today and was very depressed to here my AK47(SAR-1) mags won't fit. I have 25 AK mags and don't want to now stock up on Saiga only mags.

I'll probably sell the Saiga before I shoot it if there isn't a conversion option.

BTW: I paid $338, good price or not?

Evidently the trickiest parts about the trunnion install are (a) not breaking the bit in the hole, and (B) filing the mag catch down ENOUGH to where you can use AK mags, but NOT TOO much so that you can't use Sufefires (if, like me, you own 5--$175 worth--Surefires).

Evidently the trickiest parts about the trunnion install are (a) not breaking the bit in the hole, and (B) filing the mag catch down ENOUGH to where you can use AK mags, but NOT TOO much so that you can't use Sufefires (if, like me, you own 5--$175 worth--Surefires).

I bought my Saiga, but didn't buy Surefires. I already have 25 AK military mags. I purchased my Saiga in Colorado, my gun guy only charges $10 over his cost, due to the volume of guns he moves every month. Metal Surefire mags are $28, I think.

Not trying to sway one way or the other as a mans gun is his and he can do with it as he pleases.....

However I have to ask.....The SureFires are like $30 bucks....I have 3 each for my .223 and my 7.62....work great, well built, stout and I really like the last shot hold open feature...so my question is ...after modifying your gun (drilling/tapping/filing et al)...does the AK magazines hold open after the last shot or is there yet more mods?

Not trying to sway one way or the other as a mans gun is his and he can do with it as he pleases.....

However I have to ask.....The SureFires are like $30 bucks....I have 3 each for my .223 and my 7.62....work great, well built, stout and I really like the last shot hold open feature...so my question is ...after modifying your gun (drilling/tapping/filing et al)...does the AK magazines hold open after the last shot or is there yet more mods?

Your "bolt hold open" mags are neat to have - nothing more.

They don't allow you to replace the mag and release the bolt on a fresh mag (like the AR15 or Vz58)

IOW, you're not gaining anything from their use.

Quite frankly, a "bolt hold open" is one feature I do not want on my AKs.

They don't allow you to replace the mag and release the bolt on a fresh mag (like the AR15 or Vz58)

In other words the full force of the recoil spring is pushing the bolt on the follower of the magazine making it harder to remove the mag.

In other words the full force of the recoil spring is pushing the bolt on the follower of the magazine making it harder to remove the mag.

. . . not only that, but when you DO pull the mag clear, the bolt carrier slams forward . . .

What have you gained?

. . . not only that, but when you DO pull the mag clear, the bolt carrier slams forward . . .

What have you gained?

The knowledge that you've spent $30 on an AK mag, when you can get good ol' steel ones for 1/3 the price!

You can convert the Saiga to take AK mags but MAKE SURE YOU COMPLY WITH THE IDIOTIC USC922r if the mag capcity is over ten rounds. You can use the Dremel to remove material from the feed ramp to allow you to use both AK and Saiga magazines. The Saiga magazines will work even after you file down the magazine catch.

There's is a lot of information in the forum about conversion, USC922r compliance and feed ramp installation.