I am looking to try an Underfolding Saiga..

It requires mods to the receiver.

What mods does it require? I have a pistol grip on it already.. I would like no know if it will still clear the meg well and lock up underneath.

@22_Shooter

I'm looking to move to Northern PA soon anyhow for many reasons. Big one is the tax's here.

Looks like an external block with a hole cut in it for an underfolding stock. Pretty cheesy, if you ask me. Basically, you'll be adding about 2" to the overall length of the rifle, and I doubt that it will clear the magazine with the added length.

Well well..

post-1914-1247665860_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1247665888_thumb.jpg

Some of the issues you'll probably run into, modifying the block to fit anything other than a Chinese Underfolder, cutting part of the stock (or taking off your scope rail mount) to get the stock to lock up, it will wobble not matter how tight it is when you put it together.

I only shelled out $20 for the part IIRC, the rest was dremel work on my end

What mods does it require? I have a pistol grip on it already.. I would like no know if it will still clear the meg well and lock up underneath.

My bad, I guess I should have paid more attention. There's also a side folding version of this too...

Well well..

post-1914-1247665860_thumb.jpg

post-1914-1247665888_thumb.jpg

Some of the issues you'll probably run into, modifying the block to fit anything other than a Chinese Underfolder, cutting part of the stock (or taking off your scope rail mount) to get the stock to lock up, it will wobble not matter how tight it is when you put it together.

I only shelled out $20 for the part IIRC, the rest was dremel work on my end

So it will fold with a 30 round mag in place? Hmmm I think I mite just give it a go..

You can do a side folder without modification. Falcon makes a great side folder and kvar has a triangular Ak103 style that will go on just replacing the stock. Polish tantal wire folders are also great, but the similar East German and Romanian side folders areeven better because they don't dip down as quick and give a better cheek weld. All of the above can be fired and be manipulated without messing with the magazine like this underfolder extension which would require removing the mag to open. I know someone who put this underfolder extension on a Romanian and it did not clear a 30

Edited by imarangemaster
I want an underfolder on my Saiga too!!!! I will figure out a way to put one on there somehow.......bastards can't keep me down!

I wanted an underfolder, so I did it. I didn't want a block hanging off the back of the receiver, I wanted it to look like it was meant to be. So......here ya go!

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

Did you do that, or a Gun smith? Looks real good.. I was thinking of give it a go myself. How hard is it to do?

I want an underfolder on my Saiga too!!!! I will figure out a way to put one on there somehow.......bastards can't keep me down!

I wanted an underfolder, so I did it. I didn't want a block hanging off the back of the receiver, I wanted it to look like it was meant to be. So......here ya go!

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

are u selling this on gunbroker right now? i just saw this same gun listed for sale?

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

are u selling this on gunbroker right now? i just saw this same gun listed for sale?

Yes, I did the work myself, rather than paying a gunsmith, and yes, I am selling it on Gunbroker. Doubt I will get what I'm asking, but I personally think it's fair considering how much I have put into it. As far as the difficulty, it took me about 4 days work to complete it, and I probably wouldn't do one again unless the price was right. Unless you have access to a drill press, a press, a welder and a grinder you probably couldn't do this build......oh and then refinish it when complete.

Yes, I did the work myself, rather than paying a gunsmith, and yes, I am selling it on Gunbroker. Doubt I will get what I'm asking, but I personally think it's fair considering how much I have put into it. As far as the difficulty, it took me about 4 days work to complete it, and I probably wouldn't do one again unless the price was right. Unless you have access to a drill press, a press, a welder and a grinder you probably couldn't do this build......oh and then refinish it when complete.

:lolol: Let us know if you get $1300 :lolol:

:lolol: Let us know if you get $1300 :lolol:

Yeah, like I said I know I wont get that, but if you price out everything, it's not cheap. Try building one.....once you get it done, let me know if you think it's worth that. It was a pain in the ass.

Edited by NorthernBornRebel

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

If I didn't Live in New York I would buy it from you... ( Mostly if I could find an FFL who would Transfer it as JUST a Saiga, I would. What New York doesn't know can hart it. ) WHY CAN WE JUST SAW OFF NYCity and be Done with this AWB here. Where do we sign for this to happen?? :devil:

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

If I didn't Live in New York I would buy it from you... ( Mostly if I could find an FFL who would Transfer it as JUST a Saiga, I would. What New York doesn't know can hart it. ) WHY CAN WE JUST SAW OFF NYCity and be Done with this AWB here. Where do we sign for this to happen?? :devil:

I guess I could weld the underfolder open.....or closed.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

Picture392.jpg

Picture395.jpg

Picture397.jpg

I guess I could weld the underfolder open.....or closed.

Funny..

But I did call and ask my FFL if that would satisfy him. He said he would not risk his FFL for it. I can't blame him. I'm going to have to make one my self.. :blues:

BTW.. What do you need to weld?

Edited by Zazale

What do you mean, to fix the stock open, or when I welded up the receiver?

To fix the stock open I would just weld the underfolder parts to the trunnion and make the folding feature inoperable.

To actually install the underfolder trunnion, I had to remove the sight mount and weld EVERY rivet hole, the original FCG holes, and the holes used to bend the flats by the factory. I then hand filed them to match the receiver. Then I drilled new holes for the underfolder trunnion and sand blasted the whole rifle. I then Moly-Resined the entire rifle.

It wasn't an easy process.....it took a lot of time to get it right.

What do you mean, to fix the stock open, or when I welded up the receiver?

To fix the stock open I would just weld the underfolder parts to the trunnion and make the folding feature inoperable.

To actually install the underfolder trunnion, I had to remove the sight mount and weld EVERY rivet hole, the original FCG holes, and the holes used to bend the flats by the factory. I then hand filed them to match the receiver. Then I drilled new holes for the underfolder trunnion and sand blasted the whole rifle. I then Moly-Resined the entire rifle.

It wasn't an easy process.....it took a lot of time to get it right.

Sorry I was talking about the the install of the underfold. I dose sound like a lot of work, but I'm still going to try it. I'm going to practices on some bad receivers first.

So it will fold with a 30 round mag in place? Hmmm I think I mite just give it a go..

negative ghost rider...

should fold over a 20rnd mag though, I don't have one to check with though

negative ghost rider...

should fold over a 20rnd mag though, I don't have one to check with though

But it will fold with a 30 rounder if you do the work and mod the receiver.

Yes but not if you use the poly block abortion that I did