I'm getting a Cobray PM-11, and have a few questions. PLEASE only pipe in if you have personal knowledge about these.

1. Where do you get a replacement "old style" mag catch (not the ball detent)?

2. Is there any benefit to converting the MAC mag housing to a Sten?

3. Who sells such Sten mag conversion kits?

4. Is it beneficial to grind down edges to the sides of the feed ramp?

5. Mags: zytel or steel?

6. Dropping M-11 barrel into PM-11 ... legal? (Federally, I'm not in PRK)

Thanks.

1. Where do you get a replacement "old style" mag catch (not the ball detent)?

Check COBRAY online or RPBUSA.

2. Is there any benefit to converting the MAC mag housing to a Sten?

Plentiful mags that are dirt cheap. Not all fit well.

3. Who sells such Sten mag conversion kits?

RPBUSA, or have somebody do it for you.

4. Is it beneficial to grind down edges to the sides of the feed ramp?

Why?

5. Mags: zytel or steel? I'm assuming it takes M11/9 mags...

Come on, zytel wear out pretty quick unless you add the metal inserts to the feed lips. (https://www.onlinesecureordering.com/712.html) I hear the south african steel mags are the best. CDNN had them for $10, they are sold out. Sportsmans Guide and others have them for $20.

6. Dropping M-11 barrel into PM-11 ... legal? (Federally, I'm not in PRK)

With the assualt weapons ban gone, I don't see why not. Just don't do a stock without putting on a barrel of 16in+.

Absolutely. I got one off auctionarms.com for $200. It's from a gunsmith who sells fixeruppers to support a cancer-sniffing-k9 program. This one supposedly just needed the magazine catch. Spoke with Harvey at Cobray yesterday -- awesome guy -- and he sold me the catch, catch pin, catch spring and grip. That'll get rid of the entire post-ban "ball detent" mag catch, which I guess is a P.O.S. I've been seeing some kick ass m-11's with AR-15 stocks and carbine barrels.

So did you end up getting a pm-11 or m-11? Whats different between them? Can anyone testify if either are any good? I'm not buying one to have an accurate wonderful carry piece, just simply think they look cool.

Edited by smithmonsters

I got the PM-11. Only two differences are the M has a threaded barrel and the PM does not, and the PM originally came with a "ball detent" mag catch. As far as differences between the M/PM and the SMG (FA), I don't know. I've been doing quite a bit of research the last couple days on the M/PM. Seems like the biggest complaint is failure to feed, especially in the PM. I guess it's due to the ball detent system. Per Cobray, this was a design flaw implemented in an attempt to have the gun legal in Cali. For about $50, I got the four M parts to put the "old style" mag catch in. Seems like a lot of people like the Cobrays while some of the MAC-elitists who spend $5K on a FA SMG look down their noses at them.