Need some advice from those of you who have one or the other of the below gadgets. I am trying to decide how to best keep my guns rust free inside a safe. I have found two basic options, a Remington Mini-dehumidifier and a heating rod. Both claim to do the same thing. One you have to service on a regular basis and the other is just plug in and forget it. One removes moisture by absorbing the water in the air into crystals, the other by using dry constant heat to keep humidity low.

Since they are both about 30 bucks, which one do you recommend and why?

I actually use both of the mentioned devices. A Golden Rod and an Eva-Dry mini dehumidifier.

Even with the Golden Rod running 24/7, the mini dehumidifier still gets saturated in about a week. The closet I have my safe in is kinda humid.

By the way, the Remington dehumidifier appears to be an Eva-Dry, just relabeled with "Remington" and a higher price tag. You can pick up Eva-Dry's for cheaper at the manufacturer website: http://eva-dry.com/products.html

I picked up 2 of the small ones for just under $40 shipped. (Buying more than 1 drops the price, and there's free shipping on >$35 orders)

Here's another thread, asking the same thing. I guess I could of just copied and pasted my reply from that one :D .

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=41599&hl=

I use the dehumidifiers.(Eva-Dry) Like to know moisture content and don't dry out wooden stocks. Some like rods for the plug in and forget. Yet can dry out stocks if humidity levels are not high. Use 3 of the smaller units, (fit in needed locations) and only need plugged in/dried out ounce a month, could go longer. Even had them when vault was put into longterm storage when assigned overseas for a year. Large 48 long weapon vault. Family member just recharge monthly. :smoke:

I saw somebody mention that he uses a 40W light bulb instead of the heat rod, does the same thing.

I need to do one or the other in my gun cabinet. The rechargeable (bake in the oven) crystal packs

are working ok in my small safe.

I use the dehumidifiers.(Eva-Dry) Like to know moisture content and don't dry out wooden stocks. Some like rods for the plug in and forget. Yet can dry out stocks if humidity levels are not high.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the heads up. It's not something I would've thought about, but am glad I know now, if I ever get something with wood furniture in the future.