S12 used in self defence

I see home defense threads on every forum.

Some contain well thought out points,others are filled with posturing and bravado.

I love the S12 and feel it is a very fine and useful weapon.

Has anyone read or heard about the use of a Saiga in an actual home or commercial setting incident?

Corbin

That and some threads at warrior talk are what stimulated my question.

As a trainer,Gabe is a big fan of the S12,and that site has a lot of reports of incidents,but so far nothing involving an S12.

I wonder how many have been sold and more importantly how many of those are the go to weapon for HD or premises protection.

Pointy tips aside,very little to no real world reports so far.

That said,I love my 12.

:wub:

Has anyone read or heard about the use of a Saiga in an actual home or commercial setting incident?

You're really asking two questions.

#1 How effective is the 12 gauge round in the anti-personnel role?

#2 How reliable is the Saiga shotgun?

I think #1 has been pretty well answered over the years. The Reader's Digest Condensed version seems to be that the 12 gauge loaded with slugs or 00 buckshot is the most effective short range, anti-personnel round commonly available to civilians.

Reliability of the Siaga can probably be gleaned by reading through this forum. The consensus seems to be that there are three factors generally responsible for reliability. These factors are the weapon itself combined with the magazine and the ammunition. Basically, you have to play with your magazine/ammo combinations to find the ones your weapon prefers. You will probably find some mag/ammo combinations that your particular shotgun simply will not function with reliably. You will find other combinations that run "slicker than snot on a doorknob" in your shotgun.

I have no first hand experience employing my Saiga against human threats. However, I have done enough informal range work with it to be absolutely confident that it will go bang everytime the trigger is pressed no matter how it is held and no matter what rounds it is fed.

#1 In my case a question answered a very long time ago.

#2 S12 is one of my primary go to weapons.

#3 I am actually asking exactly what is stated in the question.

You are smart and thoughtful,and I appreciate your reply.Please understand my reply in that context.

B)

Edited by gaucho1

Well then, you and I are on the same wave length.

If you don't mind my curiosity, what is the purpose of your question? Is it to simply tally up the number of defensive uses of the Saiga for general knowledge?

I do not mind.

At root,idle and useless curiosity.Possibly weapons geekness.

Real world reports are interesting to me.Legal ramifications and complications have been speculated.No actual reports.

I would enjoy reading the results of any or all of the scenarios we all form in our minds.Five guys attack in a home invasion,or three robbers at a jewelry store.Anything really.

This is really not a "tactical" forum,but it seems like we share a lot of interests in that area.

Really nothing of real significance.But fun.

Unfortunately, the one time i defended my home with a shotgun, I grabbed my pistolgripped pump gun. Antiquated or not, it provided enough support to easily diffuse the situation without firing a shot, and was stored closer due to the slimmer profile, though I am certain in the same situation, the S12 would have performed just as well, and if i expected trouble, it would have been closer, and had spare magazines with it.