Picked up one of these little babies yesterday

I'll tell you what not bad for a little welder for being "made in china". Messed around with it last night for about an hour welds good with 1/16 rod. I wasn't expecting it to be able to burn a whole rod without "sputtering" (never happened), I probably ran 4 rods back to back and had it on for a whole hour. I tried it out on a piece of 3" schedule 40 carbon pipe. This is the perfect size for doing little things around the house.

post-17599-1248709373.gif

I'll tell you what not bad for a little welder for being "made in china". Messed around with it last night for about an hour welds good with 1/16 rod. I wasn't expecting it to be able to burn a whole rod without "sputtering" (never happened), I probably ran 4 rods back to back and had it on for a whole hour. I tried it out on a piece of 3" schedule 40 carbon pipe. This is the perfect size for doing little things around the house.

Where did you find it, and how much?

Harbor Freight $150, there is an online coupon out there that expires today for 20% off. I was also thinking along those lines to Bob. I also think it will come in handy with the 2 galil 50 rounders I ordered on Saturday, I really wanted to "tig" the mags but I think I can handle it with "stick".

Edited by chupa
Harbor Freight $150, there is an online coupon out there that expires today for 20% off. I was also thinking along those lines to Bob. I also think it will come in handy with the 2 galil 50 rounders I ordered on Saturday, I really wanted to "tig" the mags but I think I can handle it with "stick".

Yeah, if careful it can be done, I'm sure.

There's an idea bigsal, I like the british g3 kit too!! I've wanted a "home welder" for several years and finally found one that works good and the right price. I'm not sure if they have a tig rig for it, I will have to check it out.

I had a stick welder and a flux mig welder and gained a little experience, but they were cheap chinese ones and had a duty cycle of like 2% or something silly like that. Really hard to work with and I had to keep stopping.

I sold them at a garage sale and told my self I would someday buy something better.

Everyone seems to use sexy TIG welders to fill in reciever holes. I am aware of the skill and experience required. I am wondering has anyone tried to fill in holes with a stick welder? Any gotchas?

I just picked up a TIG welder. So far I suck at it, and I've been wire feed welding for years. I did mange to give myself a nice sunburn with the TIG though. :eek:

Paladin, I know what you are talking about "tig" is a whole nother animal in it's self, imo. I am certified #21 union welder/pipefitter (6010-7018 out) and I just started tigging about 1 year ago and I am pretty good at it but passing a weld test is another story!!! When we take a weld test it is in the 6g position/45 degree angle (once you start the test, you cannot move the pipe coupon at all) My right bottom side (5 o'clock to 3 o'clock) I have trouble tying in the sides of the pipe. You cannot "downhill" either. It's a real bitch..

I just picked up a TIG welder. So far I suck at it, and I've been wire feed welding for years. I did mange to give myself a nice sunburn with the TIG though. :eek:

Paladin, I know what you are talking about "tig" is a whole nother animal in it's self, imo. I am certified #21 union welder/pipefitter (6010-7018 out) and I just started tigging about 1 year ago and I am pretty good at it but passing a weld test is another story!!! When we take a weld test it is in the 6g position/45 degree angle (once you start the test, you cannot move the pipe coupon at all) My right bottom side (5 o'clock to 3 o'clock) I have trouble tying in the sides of the pipe. You cannot "downhill" either. It's a real bitch..

now thats funny... I'm UA local #073

What's up brother.

What's up brother.

Nailbomb, I don't know what just happened there. L.U. 354. Are you working?

LOL, we're getting off subject a bit, but its your thread.

No, there was suposed to be a crap ton of school work for us this summer, but they procrastinated, then when the work started they SEVERLY underestimated the amount of asbestos that needed to be removed. They can't delay opening the school, so they gotta get off there asses and start making some calls to get something done sooner or later.

I have a bad feeling we'll be playing catch up next year.