When i first purchased my .308, I wanted to find the best way to field strip and clean the weapon, after searchin for literature I eventually looked for vids that may make it easier. I found a video on youtube and I watched it. I love that this weapon is so simple to disassemble, during the video there was a moment where the person states "never clean the bolt face".

Why is that?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. :unsure:

Edited by joeydoo.308

I push the firing pin forward (so it peeks through the bolt-face and prevents crud from going into the hole) and clean the bolt faceand under the extractor claw with a dry Q-tip. If you shoot corrosive ammo, you must ALWAYS thouroughly clean the bolt face (swab with Q-tip dipped in soapy water, then wiped with dry Q-tip). There is always crud and metal shavings on the bolt face, so I always clean it. Just remember to never oil the bolt face or firing pin.

When i first purchased my .308, I wanted to find the best way to field strip and clean the weapon, after searchin for literature I eventually looked for vids that may make it easier. I found a video on youtube and I watched it. I love that this weapon is so simple to disassemble, during the video there was a moment where the person states "never clean the bolt face".

Why is that?

First, not a stupid question.. a stupid question is more like: "Should I unload my gun, before cleaning it?" :)

Remember, there are a lot of ... let me put this as nicely as possible .. fucking idiots on YouTube. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good stuff there, too, but the idiots outweigh the good stuff my a large margin.

Yes, clean everything on your firearm.

Per oil and primer damage, there's a good article on Box-O-Truth about it...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

Factory manual recommends an annual bolt disassembly and cleaning to take care of crud build up in there, if I am not mistaken - or maybe I read about it elsewhere. I always clean the bolt face with oil and patches to remove fouling and crud and never had any issues in any of my firearms.

Primers are pretty sealed with factory ammunition. A little oil on the firing pin won't ruin a primer. Don't worry about that. The Bolt that you have needs to have some regular cleaning. I spray mine with Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner from the auto section and then lightly oil it when done. Really cleans out old residue that way. Watch your eyes!

Why is that?

First, not a stupid question.. a stupid question is more like: "Should I unload my gun, before cleaning it?" :)

Remember, there are a lot of ... let me put this as nicely as possible .. fucking idiots on YouTube. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good stuff there, too, but the idiots outweigh the good stuff my a large margin.

Yes, clean everything on your firearm.

Per oil and primer damage, there's a good article on Box-O-Truth about it...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

I appreciate it guys, yeah that Youtube thing i was definately not taking anything thats on there to be "Gospel" so to speak. and i totally agree the idiots outweight the good. Thanks for clearing that for me.

Would be nice if there were a book on AK assembly/disassembly or a place to see how things are taken aprart. Would also be good to know if there are some schematics on them as well.

http://www.ar15.com/content/#manuals

has US army AK47 operators

different manufacturers ak manuals

and AK47 cad files

there are many detailed books and videos available

I highly recommend all the Suarez Int'l AK videos

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp...mp;Category=274

I would love to take his AK courses

Edited by humanguerrilla