I bought a Saiga .308-1 at a gunshow yesterday. The only disappointment was that when I ripped into the box there was no sling. The swivels are tiny things, and no other rifle I own has a sling that will fit. Can anyone direct me to a place that has a sling that will fit? New to the forum and need help!

I just used one of the cheap $2 AR-15 slings and it works great. Its a little crumpled where the sling goes through the little swivels, but it doesnt affect it any.

Im just happy it has sling swivels!!! A Remington 7400 that costs almost twice as much doesnt even come with them.

That's odd, txpete. The sling from my 91/30 won't fit at all. But that particular sling might not be the "official" Mosin sling, for all I know. When I dug into the box after purchasing my Mosin-Nagant there were tools that don't seem to fit anything on the rifle. So maybe it's some odd-ball part meant for something else.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered an AR-15 sling--I'll try that.

Guys guys guys,where`s your shadetree engineering skills? dont settle for what has been given you,look deeper into the situation and set yourselves free.....

See that screw that secures the wee sling swivels to the front handguard?Pull it out and put it in your shirt pocket,go to the local freindly gun store and get yourself a set of quick disconnect sling swivel studs,the set that has one machine screw stud and one wood screw stud,take the screw out of your shirt pocket and compare it to the machine screw swivel stud that you are about to buy,the threads look the same dont they?Nice of the Russians to take care of us that way.Now the sling swivel that you just bought will be a bit long and you will have to shorten it with your bench grinder or a file if you have no bench grinder,dont forget to chamfer the edges after shortening it so it will thread without fuss.The thing now sits too deep in the handguard so run out to ace hardware(with the new swivel stud in your shirt pocket) and get some neat washers to bring it out to the proper depth on the handguard.Voila!!! now you have quick disconnect sling swivel stud on your handguard and you can buy that neat $14.95 black nylon sling from Walmart that has the swivels already attached.The rear swivel is much simpler,just get the old set out and twist in the wood screw stud with maybe a washer or two to get the right depth and we have a much better system.

Now you can put a harris bipod on that great gun,so go out and buy one,you know you want to.

Bossman

Try this

Paul

The sling is adjustable from both front and rear sling swevels with normal latch hooks.

Where the end of the sling goes down through the middle swivel....near the end of it you attach it to the other sling piece adjacent to it.

You can buy these nice wide leather military slings at Walmart for approx. $12.00 or you can pay almost fifty dollars for a name sling...your choice. I was very surprised at the quality of the slings when I bumped into them at Walmart...they carry the wide swivels also.

Paul

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Tantal sells an actual Saiga sling. Russian cotton web with leather end pieces (kind of a tanish greenish color). I got one and it fits perfectly and looks great! I want to add that all of my dealings with Tantal have been some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Lifer

Edited by Lifer