PG Stock for Saiga

I have seen the different homemade PG stocks around the forums and have been wanting to make my own for a while now.

We recently got a CNC router at work for cutting our custom composite board. I talked to some of the engineers (I'm the IT guy) and they said they would be more than happy to cut whatever I wanted as long as I supplied a cad drawing. One engineer offered to do the drawing for me. Once the stock is cut I'm hoping to have it coated by our in house coating system (Basically the same thing as the bed liners you can have sprayed in)

What should I go with? Thumbhole, skeleton, ...?

Go with whatever tickles your fantasy!!!!

If you can dream it, you can mount it on your gun!!!

WHAT DO *YOU* like??? I think is the most important thing to remember here!!!

post some pics, if/when ya get one cut!!

:smoke:

I'm most likely going to go with something similar to a dragunov stock.

The reason I ask though is because depending on how it turns out, I may be willing to make some extra for a relatively low price. The material I will be using is more or less scrap from regular process.

Edited by MrGrey

NO DOUBT... I LOVE the looks of a dragunov stock... just the WASR10 ones SUCK for a saiga... hell they suck for a wasr10 too... I LOVE the thumbhole... but would certainly like something more "UNIQUE"

That is definitely what you can create... I would like to keep posted too!!

:smoke:

How strong is this stuff compared to polymer? And is it rigid or semi flexible? How heavy would a full stock be?

Fiberglass stranded in nylon is used for some things, like model airplane props etc. I can imagine that this stuff would work well for stocks depending on its properies.

Someon is going to have to know what the stuff is like before they design a stock, so they know what minimum size is need for strength. For instance would a 1" square strip of it break or bend?

You have an interesting idea here.

It almost sounds like "Glass filled nylon". If thats what it is, you could build an engine block out of that stuff! It is workable like wood, but practicaly indestructable. If hes using glass filled nylon, count me in on a custom cut stock too!

It is not glass filled nylon. It's strength is the same as wood and stonger depending on grade. It is a proprietary composite that I can't really say is. I can offer some photo's.

It's pretty light weight, but again it's dependant on grade.

A one inch square would not break or bend. Think of a one inch square of OSB and you would have somewhat similar properties.

The board has been used for coast gaurd drug chaser boats as transom board supporting 4 350 outboards (yes 4). So it is fairly strong.

Heheh, if I knew what OSB was it would help. :) Would you say its about equal or better than walnut for strength and weight?

I would think a druganove/Skeleton type could be made without major bracing structure being required then.

Edited by Onepoint

OSB is like the crappy version of plywood. It is plenty strong enough for an AK stock. Just 1 350 Chevy motor has a 200lb. force of twist @ 3000RPM Do the math. This stuff sounds pretty strong to me. I would love to see the first prototype.