Why Can't You Silver Solder a AK-74 FSB?

I don't really have anyone in my area that has the tools to pin my AK-74 Front Sight Base to my barrel, so currently the only thing holding it is a 10-32 set screw and a nice coat of white Loctite.

Personally, I am concerned that this will not be enough to hold it onto the barrel

I have been racking my brain for a week and it finally dawned on me.

Why not silver solder or tack weld the front edge of the FSB to the barrel?

I'm sure silver solder will work and I have the tools to do that.

It should provide an extra measure of retention but does anyone think that it won't be enough?

Should I just go with the tack welds instead?

FSBSolder01.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt

I only used the lock screw for indexing, screwed into a dimple I drilled into the barrel. Since I had threaded it 14x1mm L, I used a thin nut forward of it like an indexing nut Dinzag sells to keep it from moving forward. well over 1,000 rounds and it hasn't budged.

If that's the picture posted of it, why don't you just take it to a place that has a drill press, drill 2 small holes the same size as a small pin or finishing nail, right through the 2 flats on the underneat of the FSB? You will drill through the sight, and the barrel and in essense your barrel will have a small groove in it. That will always hold it on and it should be able to be taken off again if needed. Won't spot welding change the temper of the steel in the barrel right there?

My buddy pressed one onto his 7.62x39 Saiga and it was tight enough that never moved in over 1000rds even though he forgot to pin it.

How tight was it to press on? I had to whack mine with a hammer to index it prior to drilling

From what I understand you need a special jig and an end mill to keep the bit aligned as it cuts through the 2 different metals.

Muzzle nuts are usually spot welded to the barrel on an AK so it must not affect them too much.

If that's the picture posted of it, why don't you just take it to a place that has a drill press, drill 2 small holes the same size as a small pin or finishing nail, right through the 2 flats on the underneat of the FSB? You will drill through the sight, and the barrel and in essense your barrel will have a small groove in it. That will always hold it on and it should be able to be taken off again if needed. Won't spot welding change the temper of the steel in the barrel right there?

It's pretty tight but once it starts to heat up (from shooting) the 2 metals can expand at different rates which could be an issue. I'm sure there is a reason they pin these.

My buddy pressed one onto his 7.62x39 Saiga and it was tight enough that never moved in over 1000rds even though he forgot to pin it.

How tight was it to press on? I had to whack mine with a hammer to index it prior to drilling

I had to REALLY beat mine on and twist and turn it with the help of da hamma. I took the set screw out and tried to rotate the FSB the other day and couldn't move it.... once it's on and you put a few hundred rounds through it, it's not going ANYWHERE!

From what I understand you need a special jig and an end mill to keep the bit aligned as it cuts through the 2 different metals.

No you don't, I had a gunsmith drill out the pin holes with a hand drill. He just took his time.

It is more difficult then you think. The barrel is a lot harder then the gas block and the bit may want to walk off the curve. If it is a good tight mount now I would consider the silver solider or the small weld. There is really no science to it, you just don't want it to move.

I had a real hard time finding someone to tack weld it today, there is one guy that might do it sometime this week

I have the equipment for silver soldering so i think I might just do this myself.

.... I would consider the silver solider or the small weld.

Silver solder should work. I had a beat to hell 1883 made Colt 1873 SAA 45 Colt, and its front sight was silver soldered on at the factory. It was still attached! Once you have it lined up, drill a small dimple in the barrel through the set screw hole for the set screw to engage when it is screwed in.

Edited by imarangemaster

The main reason I went with the AK-74 FSB was difference in cost and less hassle with renting tools.

I know the cheap way is to cut the original FSB, thread the barrel and install a muzzle attachment.

I wanted to keep my conversion more original so I wanted to use a real FSB with a bayonet lug.

My choices were the AK-47 FSB and muzzle attachment, but then I would have had to buy or rent the threading tools, or the AK-74 FSB.

It seemed like a no brainer, until I couldn't find a person to pin the FSB, then I got concerned.

Now that I got the retention part taken care of I feel better about my choice.

Thanks