new to me mil surplus mags, i want to clean em?

there is some type of oil or lube, preservative on my new to me mil surplus mags. i would like to clean them up. should i use something like gun scrubber then some break free which i use on my guns regularly or is there a better method for the mags. any info would be awesome. thanks, jr.

there is some type of oil or lube, preservative on my new to me mil surplus mags. i would like to clean them up. should i use something like gun scrubber then some break free which i use on my guns regularly or is there a better method for the mags. any info would be awesome. thanks, jr.

it is probably cosmoline its a goo substaince used for long term preservation ( the stuff that comes on older military guns like m44, 90/31, sks.) i used hopes 9 gun solution, but there's a different way for everybody. if you google cosmoline removel there will be a billion different poeple useing a billion different ways to take that shit off. you can just pick one that suits you the best.

I used Oil Eater available at a Costco to dissolve the cosmoline. I used an old toothbrush to clean it off. Previously I used brake cleaner but the brake cleaner has harsh fumes then WD-40.

There are many methods to clean off cosmoline but I'm giving two of them. The Oil Eater is the easiest I used.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I just wipe them down with dry paper towels. A light residue of cosmoline seems like a good thing insofar as preventing corrosion. It doesn't seem necessary to chemically strip.

you dont want cosmoline on moving parts because other than the obvious clumps that can restrict moving parts but when the cosmoline gets hot it acts like glue and the moving parts wont move anymore, other than moving parts and if you like the feeling and smell of cosmoline than go for it

just took some of mine apart and scrubbed with a brass wire brush and break free clp. it worked well for the slightly rusted areas and cleaned all the grease or oil or cosmo and dirt right off. i then sprayed all the parts with gun scrubber. it blew all the old shit off. lastly i re coated with clp. there now clean and work real smooth, like brand new.

I use mineral spirits and a brass brush. The brass brush is harder than rust but not blues steel. The disolved cosmolene helps get rid of the rust. I wipe them clean and use a rag with balistol on it to lube them. Ballistol helps neutralize the corrosive ammo shooting residue that gets on the mag while firing. I am only using non-corrosive now, but just in case...

I washed my SKS parts with dawn dish soap and hot water. Cosmo came right off. I then dried everything really well and applied a thin sheet of oil. Let is sit then wipe it down again before use. I regularly leave my guns in an oiled state when not in use. Before I shoot them though, I just wipe them down quickly with a rag and they are good to go.