Hi Guys

I was able to sell one of my favorite pistols to help fund another project that i am putting together..I would appreciate your thoughts if anyone has any experience with this fairly new caliber .50GI ... Ive done my research and its deffinately a go getter....But i havent spoken to anyone that has first hand experience owning or shooting one of these.. from my research i was able to understand that shooting the .50 GI round is similar in recoil to the .45acp but with a more devastating blow. I have already obtained the Glock 21 SF and i am about to order the Guncarfter Industries .50 GI conversion kit for it... Here is a quick link on its research.. http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclus...gi-glock-21-50/

post-16872-1251014159.jpg

post-16872-1251014175.jpg

I looked it over and it looked like an interesting pistol, but the ballistics of the round left me uninterested in buying one for myself. I would be interested in your range report, specially if you do some 50 yard shooting that incorporates penetration tests.

IMO the G21 is a bad candidate for the 50GI since you go from 13+1 rounds of 45ACP to 9+1 rounds of 50GI. Having a gun with the size and grip width of a double-stack mag but with single stack capacity just seems like a step in the wrong direction.

I looked it over and it looked like an interesting pistol, but the ballistics of the round left me uninterested in buying one for myself. I would be interested in your range report, specially if you do some 50 yard shooting that incorporates penetration tests.

When i recieve it...I will try the 50yard test...Hopefully it will reach that far lol...To me this looks like a close quarter stopping machine...According to the taylor scale it is suppose to be compared to the 41magnum in force but throwing a .50cal bullet with more weight and energy behind it...I will follow up with pics and a range report soon

IMO the G21 is a bad candidate for the 50GI since you go from 13+1 rounds of 45ACP to 9+1 rounds of 50GI. Having a gun with the size and grip width of a double-stack mag but with single stack capacity just seems like a step in the wrong direction.

You have a point but the .50GI has outweighed those options in sense that i have already made my choise to give up +4 .45acp rounds to have the kickass size /Weight and energy of the .50GI..I kinda think of it as carrying my G29 10 mm with a 10round mag...I also think 10 rounds isnt too bad compared to some Slim line glocks and sigs that only carry 6rounds.

You have a point but the .50GI has outweighed those options in sense that i have already made my choise to give up +4 .45acp rounds to have the kickass size /Weight and energy of the .50GI..I kinda think of it as carrying my G29 10 mm with a 10round mag...I also think 10 rounds isnt too bad compared to some Slim line glocks and sigs that only carry 6rounds.

I carry a G21 everyday, but if I was going for a 9+1 gun I'd want something slimmer. The 1911 that Guncrafters makes in 50GI is a great idea, but on the G21 it seems like the gun would be unnecessarily thick for the capacity. Something like a SIG P220 in 50GI wouln't be a bad idea, slim frame and no more than 1 round of lost capacity.

I carry a G21 everyday, but if I was going for a 9+1 gun I'd want something slimmer. The 1911 that Guncrafters makes in 50GI is a great idea, but on the G21 it seems like the gun would be unnecessarily thick for the capacity. Something like a SIG P220 in 50GI wouln't be a bad idea, slim frame and no more than 1 round of lost capacity.

I own the SF frame which is a little shorter and let bulky than the regular glock 21...Isnt too bad as a carry weapon especially with the new 50gi slide

That makes me nervous. I have never seen one of these kits, but the first question I would have is; How did they make a barrel & breech beefy enough to handle the extra pressure & still fit in the pistol?

The .40 cal glock simply went with a thinned breech in G-17 & it is the only Glock subject to catastrophic failure do to this fact.

Glock already trys to make their pistols as light as possible, that is why they strongly discourage "hot" or reloaded ammo.

Do a LOT of research first.

That makes me nervous. I have never seen one of these kits, but the first question I would have is; How did they make a barrel & breech beefy enough to handle the extra pressure & still fit in the pistol?

The .40 cal glock simply went with a thinned breech in G-17 & it is the only Glock subject to catastrophic failure do to this fact.

Glock already trys to make their pistols as light as possible, that is why they strongly discourage "hot" or reloaded ammo.

Do a LOT of research first.

The pressures are about the same as a .45acp cartridge..here are some more facts listed at this link

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/50gi_cartridge.shtml

I would rather shoot .460 Rowland if I wanted to mod a .45 to shoot a more powerful round, but this is still kind of neat. You reload, right?

No but i have a friend that does...Ammo isnt too bad in price....self defense loads are around 27.99 for a box of 20 Hollow points..Same thing you would spend on a 10mm

With velocities in the 700-800 fps, it would make a cool suppressed weapon.

Kinetic energy (in foot/lbs.) would be much less with the 240 grain than the .45 in 230. The 50 GI is a very slow round and I would be interested to see results from ballistics gel on penetration and expansion. If the sumbitch expands to double its OD, then that is a one inch trauma wound!

50 cal bullets are gonna be harder to find to reload, but with the 50 AE and the new 500 S&W, it may be easier than in the past to get some.

i was looking at my states concealed laws and found we cant conceal anything bigger than a 45 is your state the same?

I live in the Glorious state of Texas.....We have no caliber restrictions...If we wanted ..we could even carry a .600 nitro express

With velocities in the 700-800 fps, it would make a cool suppressed weapon.

Kinetic energy (in foot/lbs.) would be much less with the 240 grain than the .45 in 230. The 50 GI is a very slow round and I would be interested to see results from ballistics gel on penetration and expansion. If the sumbitch expands to double its OD, then that is a one inch trauma wound!

50 cal bullets are gonna be harder to find to reload, but with the 50 AE and the new 500 S&W, it may be easier than in the past to get some.

Here is a link to the ballistic gelatin test done at Brass Catcher of the .50GI..They claim that the cartridge can produce a hole in the target that is 24% larger than a .45ACP bullet..

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page988.htm