Reload rercipies for the .223 Saiga

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any .223 recipies for the .223 Saiga. I plan to reload for mine, That's why I went with it. I have a bunch of components when I reloaded for an AR-15. I have a real good load that I used to use in Highpower comp. If I'm correct, the Saiga barrel has a 1-9" twist so it should shot 68-69 gr bullets w/ no problem.... The load I used for matches was:

LC-91 brass

Win SmRP primers

25.5 gr of AA2520

Sierra 69gr BTHP

What recipes run well in your Saiga?? Thanks

I also just got a saiga 223. I was wondering about the twist rate, so I emailed Saiga's customer service with the question, and they replied that they had a 1:10 twist.

Oh!! Well then a 69gr bullet may be to heavy for the twist. I might have to consider 60-63gr bullets....Thanks for finding that out!

I also just got a saiga 223. I was wondering about the twist rate, so I emailed Saiga's customer service with the question, and they replied that they had a 1:10 twist.

Oh!! Well then a 69gr bullet may be to heavy for the twist. I might have to consider 60-63gr bullets....Thanks for finding that out!

Wolf 75 hp shoots very well in mine...

Wolf 75 hp shoots very well in mine...

That's good to know too! I got a couple of hundred loaded and I would hope they would run okay.

Twist is at 1:10 from what I have read. See my post on "Good load for my Saiga". I have have very good luck with Benchmark powder. Each rifle is going to be a bit different, but besides the fun of reloading and cost savings, you are going to be able to tailor a load to that weapon.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering with all you guys thats reloding. What do you do to stop the brass from being dented? or can you still reload the brass with the dent on the side? i have read the post with ways of fixing it but just want to know which methods works. forking out $45USD for piece of rubber is just ridiculous

Just wondering with all you guys thats reloding. What do you do to stop the brass from being dented? or can you still reload the brass with the dent on the side? i have read the post with ways of fixing it but just want to know which methods works. forking out $45USD for piece of rubber is just ridiculous

There is a sticky thread at the top of the 223 section about ways to prevent it.

My '06 223 almost folds the brass in half, while my 09 7.62, like imarangemasters, only lightly marks it.

Edited by GregM1

Better to check it, you never know what is happening on the assembly line @ Izhevsk :-). My 12,5inch barrel has 1:10, but a few guys here have 16inch barrels and 1:12 twist.

I like to load Varget in my .223 rounds.... best part of that powder is you CANNOT overload a shell... max loads for most are a compressed load and you gotta shove EXTRA powder in... so just filling it almost to the case mouth is

perfect! LOL

I load all different weights, so I dont have one specific recipe that works...

:smoke:

For the past two years I have used 23.5gr of WCC844 with a 55gr bullet and Wolf primers the load krons at 3040fps and is very accurate, the powder comes from Pat's reloading about $120.00 for eight pounds and the WOLF Primers are $95.00 for 5,000 this is the best over all load for my 20 inch 223.

I played around for about six months trying all kinds of loads and found this to be the over all best for me.