My first .223 AK-I'm in love

I got my Saiga home yesterday, got the handguard conversion done (kinda) and took it to the range today. I had my Romak3 and my SAR1 with me too. I first sighted in the Saiga at 25m. I noticed it was dead on set all the way back: 2 was 100m, 3 was 200m. The trigger was better than I expected and the lack of recoil was welcome. I'm used to the 7.62x54R beating.

I shot the romak with the scope and, as usual, it kicked ass. 9 of 10 in the 10 ring at 200m. Not bad for an ak with 40 year old com block ammo. Next up was the SAR1. 13 of 20 on the paper, 5 in the black (8"). I've never been confident in this rifle, but with a red dot it will produce 1/2" groups at 25m, but is very inconsistant at 100m or greater.

I then loaded up the Saiga and preceded to hit the 8" circle 19 of 20 times at 200m. I was estatic! The next box was pretty much the same. Recoil? What recoil? I'm liking this!

I wanted to do a side by side Saiga/Romak3 so off came the scope. I changed to 175m Military sight in targets at 200m with a 12" circle on the center. With iron sights I was able to put 10 of 10 in the circle with both weapons. I won't be giving up my Romak anytime soon (I love firing 54R), but this Saiga gave it a run for its money. I'll probably end up getting a 4x PSO for the Saiga to see how it compares out to 500m.

post-583-1110168716_thumb.jpg

i got my 223 to the range a couple of days ago....i love it too, after putting a new fsb and welding up a feedramp( no pipe just weld smoothed out ) it ran flawless..shot about 200 rounds and right on the $$$

hell i cant see past 100 meters LOL!!

I split the retainer and welded,grinded, the filled with JB weld and painted. I finished moding a few '74 mags with JB weld today and it feeds great from them. I already ordered the PG conversion parts, but I'm not real sure I want to do it. It feels pretty good as is. Next up is a 4x PSO.post-583-1110249165_thumb.jpg

Edited by danny boy

I shot my .223 for the first time this past weekend as well and loved every minute of it. Put about 150 rounds down range with no problems. As this is my first AK style weapon I found it strange that the bolt does not stay open after the magazine empties.

Danny Boy could you explain to me exactly how you modified the 74 mags. I have one 10 round mag and am in desperate need of some cheap mags that will work.

thanks,

dgunnar

It's very easy. I test fit the mag to see where to grind. After the mag will go into the magwell easily the only other thing that needs done is to build a feed ramp.

Hold the the AK74 mag side by side with the Saiga mag and you'll see what needs done. The Saiga mag has a small (though very important) lip at the leading edge where the '74 mag doesn't. Using a file or sandpaper make sure the metal part of the '74 mag is clean and a little roughed up. Use JB weld or any hard epoxy and build up the leading edge so it matches the Saiga mag. If its too big just file it into shape. It's very important that the new ramp isnt too tall because the bolt will hit it and break it off. Get it to where it looks close to the Saiga mag and test it by first inserting it into the mag well and closing the bolt SLOWLY to see if there's any interference. Once you're sure there's not, load the mag and rack the bolt making sure it feeds from both sides. And there you have it! The mag follower will need replaced with a Robinson Armament one, but I just used the Saiga follower untill I get some .223 followers. As far as I can tell, the mags still work in the '74 too.

I know this isnt what you ware asking, but with a feed ramp on mine, I can use the black synthetic mag AK-74 mags without any other mods than filing them so they lock in.

Its one of the mods to the gun that is well worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Don't try to make mags fit the bastardized SAIGA .223.  grind the trunion lug bottoms and enable Wieger, Bakelite or any other AK-74 or other .223 mag to fit as any AK should.

Would you please explain this a bit more? Do you grind so that the mag will go forward more?

search this site for my pics and details on how to make any .223 o4 5.45 mag fit the Siaga .223. Then you will not have Saiga specific mags. That was unacceptable for me. I want all my .223 AKs to be able to share mags. I remover the lug bottoms slowly checking as I went. My Wiegers fit the snuggest, and all other polyamide and bakelites fiy nice and snug at lockup.. .no wobble whatsoever. I put a .223 bullet guide from K-Var on as well.

The best way to see where to trim is put a bit of paint on the mag, fit the mag into the rifle, then work slowly removing just a bit of matereal from the trunion at a time. use paint everytime and quit when it fits. Just for control purposes, after you're done, test fit All the mags you have to make sure they fit.

If youre going to do it this way, use a real bullet guide. It will look nicer and take much less time.