New Texas Concealed Handgun Law Changes 9/1/2009

Posting changes in law that will take effect September 1st 2009 for those in Texas:

HB 2730 amends numerous provisions regarding concealed handgun licenses (CHLs), including eliminating student loan defaults as a disqualifier, to clarify that DPS must suspend or revoke a license when the licensee becomes ineligible and mandating that a magistrate suspend a CHL held by the subject of an emergency protective order.

HB 2664 provides a defense to prosecution if a concealed handgun license holder carries a concealed handgun into an establishment that gets 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages, but has failed to post the statutorily required notice that it derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages. (Under current law, a concealed handgun licensee can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor for doing this.)

HB 2730 removes DPS authority to suspend a concealed handgun license (CHL) for the holder's failure to display the CHL to a peace officer on demand. It removes associated penalties and suspensions for the failure to display.

Yakdung

They should have included the removal of the property tax law ..I remember clearly when i went to get my chl one of the disqualifying laws were if you owed the texas comptroller back taxes for property or anything etc you cannot qualify for a CHL.. Kinda sucks for those good civilians that cant make there large tax payments.

HB 2664 . . . I thought it was like that anyway . . . :rolleyes: . . . As it should be. I mean hell, if the business doesn't post a sign, but has a bar in it, should I have to go ask the manager how much money he makes from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption . . . Unless you go to fast food or IHOP/Denny's (which is basically fast food IMO) there's a bar in practically every restaurant around here! And on that note, I'm the type that believes you should be allowed to carry anywhere. Just because everyone around me is drinking, I can't have a gun for self defense? Bullshit . . .

Theres a couple of good ones, primarily the last.

Anyone ever forget your wallet @ home & then realize "oh shit!" I am committing a crime that could lose me my CHL!

The bar & loan ones were cool too.

I don't think that means you aren't supposed to still have it on you. Now I know what you're saying, but I wonder if you could still get in trouble if you had to lawfully use your gun to defend yourself, but did not have it (CHL) on you at the time. But then again, it does say, "It removes associated penalties and suspensions for the failure to display." So, does this mean we don't "need" to carry them on us anymore? Or just that we can't get in trouble for not showing it to a LEO, when asked to do so? I dunno, I'm still keeping mine on me, just to be on the safe side . . . I'm going to ask one of the local sergeants to clarify this a little bit for me, next time I see him.

They should have included the removal of the property tax law ..I remember clearly when i went to get my chl one of the disqualifying laws were if you owed the texas comptroller back taxes for property or anything etc you cannot qualify for a CHL.. Kinda sucks for those good civilians that cant make there large tax payments.

+1

That's a crock of shit right there! That's akin to stating that you're too poor to have the right to defend yourself or your loved ones . . .

In Washington State they can't take your permit for failure to display but it is a class 1 civil penalty meaning up to a $250 fine. I suspect that there are very few of those fines handed out except as an "add on" to something more serious. I think the first time somebody tried to write me that ticket I would probably just go ahead and tell him he can yank my permit because I am no longer participating in this money-making scheme and I will be wearing my gun openly from now on. With regard to getting penalized for not having your permit after defending yourself with your gun I remember the recent instance where the shopowner in New York had an illegal shotgun and used it to defend himself in a robbery. He was not penalized for having the shotgun. I would hope there would be a similar response with someone not having their permit on them after defending themselves.

Now I know what you're saying, but I wonder if you could still get in trouble if you had to lawfully use your gun to defend yourself, but did not have it (CHL) on you at the time.

If you use it to defend yourself, don't re-conceal it.