.410 conversion '?' continued...

Ok, took the plunge this morning and started the conversion on a .410. I was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was drilling out the first rivet, and of course cutting the PG nut hole. But the .410 is almost exactly like the .308 and I have an excellent example of of those to go by.

I took the pic with the stock borrowed from my .308. I'll probably go with the AR collapsible stock and of course need the FCG and to fill in the extra holes and, oh yeah, paint/alumahide the bottom of the receiver. And I want to get an FSB like this...http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/asd_m3.jpg.

It's just the standard trigger that I need, right. I know there are plenty of posts somewhere around here, and somebody had an awsome set of links that I failed to bookmark the last time I saw them. Anyway I'm getting it done, but any suggestions will be welcome. What's up with the choke set's, or threaded MB's for the .410? And, one last thing...How the hell do you remove the foregrip? There's no screw that goes on the bottom front of the receiver into the tang like on the .308 grip. What's the trick to removing it? :smoke:

post-1486-1110315172_thumb.jpg

I used a Tapco G2 fcg and it's awesome. Get a single hook unless you want to cut an extra slot in your rec. to accomodate a double hook. Hopefully the new importer will have the choke sets but you can get them from Tantal. Take out the screw in the sling loop on your forearm and you can pull it down and then slide it forward and off.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tapco G2 trigger worked great! It feels less than 5lbs and the reset is nice and short. Found some retaining clips at a local hardware store to hold the hammer and trigger pins in place. :smoke:

I didn't realize I'd have to cut out a section of the safety so it clears the rear of the trigger when installing it, but allows the safety to work as it should. Fortunately I had 2 already converted Saiga's on hand (.308 and 7.62x39) to compare that too.

Also, I found some chrome plated brass Chicago bolts at TSC, used for harness repair, and some 8-32/12 threaded rod cut to about 1" for the Chicago bolts to cych to. The result it a lot like the example on theCross-Conn Saiga Conversion site, kinda flashy but for now it will work. I have a 10 round mag on the way but I may hold off on the AK type FSB for now just becuase of the $. What started as $200 rifle is now over $300, almost $350. :dollar: But, it's fun.

I like the light weight feel of this rifle, much lighter than the hbar .308. The less I put on it the lighter it will remain. Though the FSB probably doesn't weigh much. I'm trying to figure out how to mount a red dot scope over the rear site so that the existing fixed sites are still usable, sorta scout style you know. :smoke:

Anyway, I figure this one is pretty much ready for range testing, enough work time to play!! :super:

post-1486-1111036235_thumb.jpg

Edited by AK-treO8

Looks good man. I would take a black permanent marker and color those dodads on the back. You do know that Lowes has some little black nylon hole plugs that will pop right in those old pin holes right? Get the 3/16" size. They only cost me $1. I got one of Rusmilitary's front sights. It 's pretty lightweight and is a big plus to the cool factor, not to mention doubles your sight plane. Really finishes off the traditional AK look, especially with the 10 rounder. I have a pic somewhere of Indy's gun with the plugs installed. Let me see...

• 2 weeks later...

:smoke: .410 project, phase 3. Replaced the silver plugs with the black nylon plugs found at Lowes, as suggested. That fix is too easy, should've done that first. B)

Anyway, put on the T6 adjustable stock from Tapco and did a little cutting, filing and grinding on the handguard. I'm planning on trying to turn what is now a straight angle into a swoop that kinda matchs the bevel swoop on all of the Saiga handgaurds. I was thinking this would look really good on the rifle models since they all have the swooping gas block like an AK should have. My intention with what I did is to get that look even with the blocky thing the .410 came with for the gasblock. I've seen old pics of .410's with the standard looking gasblock, is that was the '94's are like? ;)

Oh yeah! Almost forgot! The 10 round mag helps the over all look just a bit don't ya' think? :super: I coffed up the funds, $50 :dollar::eek: for just one. With 8 round .308 mags going for about the same I figured it was worth it for the character of the project. :smoke:

Eventually I'm hoping to swing getting the AK FSB, but for now the stock sites will have to do. Also, has anyone ever tried somehow attaching a weaver or piccatany rail on top of the rear site base and gas block? I was thinking that after installing the AK FSB, and slightly higher rear site you have to buy with it, that the hole the stock front site is in could be taped for a screw to hold a rail. Then the rear of the rail could be spot welded directly in front of the grove the rear site is in.

I'm just not sure if the height of the rail would interfere with the fixed sites. Might be a lot of trouble for mounting optics scout style, but using the existing rail they come with for attaching optics always makes the rifle kinda fat around the receiver.

Anyway, this project is working as intended. It's filling in the hours/days/weeks/months waiting for the .308 hicaps to be accounced. :cryss:

post-1486-1111890295_thumb.jpg

So you want to know how the AK S-Hottie is comin along huh? Dude I'm pullin my hair out over here. I have whooped the HG problem and drilled and cut everything, modified a AKM TG, modified some rivets (because the heads on the ones that come in the rivet kits are too damn big lookin for a TG), made my own custom selector stop (which by the way is the coolest one there ever was, how can a sel. stop be cool you might ask,... snickers to himself :devil: ), made a rivet buck and driver, polished my trigger parts and cut out for the double hook, figured out what to do with my rear sight to go with my front sight if rusmil ever gets them back in stock, ordered my bayo and figured out what to do about the lug,... Lets see , what else has been keepin me up past 2 every night lately...bored out enough wood to use for kinlin in order to fit that Hungarian wood lower HG around that big ass 12ga barrel, destroyed a perfectly good AK gas tube to rob the retainers off it, cut em down to look like they came on the 12 from the factory, lightly polished my bolt carrier, confirmed that my 8 round mag is on it's way, tried to find a cool pistol grip to go with my new furniture but failed miserably:-( (guess I'll just have to make my own and hope to match the Hungarian blonde color best I can), umm got a laser sight to go on it just for kicks, ...that's about it so far, SHIT oh yeah almost forgot, got Ted Nugent to autograph the stock :super:

Now everythings ready to assemble, weld, and rivet but I'm waiting impatiently on my buddy to get back from his baby shower in New F'kin Jersey with the digi cam so I can document this shit as she goes together. I guess that gives me time to look around for some birch and try to track down some Hungarian imigrant that knows the secret recipe to the finish on those blonde AK and AMD wood parts. wink wink

I JUST SCORED!!! :lolol::super::lolol: I think I did anyway. A friend of mine mentioned he might sell his unfired 20 and 12 gauges. The 12 only has one mag, but the 20 has 6!! Hopefully we can come to a good price, and I'll be able to scrape the money together to buy them...and convert'em. :dollar::eek::dollar:

Although, of all the Saiga models the 12 looks the best as it comes. :smoke: