Mounting shorter AK UTG rails to a saiga

I cant find any info on this.

What would it take to mount the shorter AK type (as opposed to the saiga version) quad rails onto a Saiga? I like the UTG rails but i dont like how the saiga version is so much longer.

can someone who has the shorter UTG quad rails tell me how they installed it on a saiga, or how exactly they attach to a standard AK? thanks in advance

I have the 'short' UTG Quad Rail. #478 is for the 7.62 and #479 is for thicker barrels. If I remember correctly....

You'd need to take the shield off on you existing Saiga, as was said.

But what I did was, I bought a Dinzag gastube already modified to pop right on a Saiga. Fortunately I rec'd a ported gas tube which I promptly installed and mounted the UTG.

With this UTG, you DO NOT need a front barrel clamp. The UTG is SOLID and does not need one. That said, it would look slightly better, or more finished off, with a Dinzag front grip barrel clamp.

I have the 'short' UTG Quad Rail. #478 is for the 7.62 and #479 is for thicker barrels. If I remember correctly....

You'd need to take the shield off on you existing Saiga, as was said.

But what I did was, I bought a Dinzag gastube already modified to pop right on a Saiga. Fortunately I rec'd a ported gas tube which I promptly installed and mounted the UTG.

With this UTG, you DO NOT need a front barrel clamp. The UTG is SOLID and does not need one. That said, it would look slightly better, or more finished off, with a Dinzag front grip barrel clamp.

Ok so its just like the saiga version and clamps top to bottom for a friction fit only, if i understand you correctly. Has anyone ever had problems with these crushing the gas tubes or distorting them to the point they dont work? The gas tube seems pretty thin to be clamping down on really hard.

Thanks for the information guys.

Thanks for the pic usmc_mwroseberry, its hard to find good pictures of the rails attached.

I already removed my heat shield from my gas tube because i hated how it looked. Ive only got one more question, I get that the retainers are not required to install these rails, but do they do anything to assist with the fore/aft retention?

Basically im trying to decide if its worth it to get another gas tube with the upper hand guard retainer, especially if they would keep the hand guard from sliding forward in the event it losses up, but i cant tell if the UTG rail just completely bypasses over it or not, know what i mean?

Thanks again

Thanks for the pic usmc_mwroseberry, its hard to find good pictures of the rails attached.

I already removed my heat shield from my gas tube because i hated how it looked. Ive only got one more question, I get that the retainers are not required to install these rails, but do they do anything to assist with the fore/aft retention?

Basically im trying to decide if its worth it to get another gas tube with the upper hand guard retainer, especially if they would keep the hand guard from sliding forward in the event it losses up, but i cant tell if the UTG rail just completely bypasses over it or not, know what i mean?

Thanks again

If I was you I'd go with the standard AK gas tube with the retainer. Especially if you're mounting optics or a grip. Without the retainer your grip may slide forward. And I don't like installing any part on my rifle that I'm afraid may fail on me at any point.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

Thanks again

If I was you I'd go with the standard AK gas tube with the retainer. Especially if you're mounting optics or a grip. Without the retainer your grip may slide forward. And I don't like installing any part on my rifle that I'm afraid may fail on me at any point.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

I gotcha, so the upper handguard retainer DOES keep the rail from sliding forward. Thats just what I needed to know, ill have to pick up another gas tube Thanks for the info.

I might just grab the short rail and run it until I can pick up another gas tube which will make it more secure. Thanks again.

Thanks again

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

I gotcha, so the upper handguard retainer DOES keep the rail from sliding forward. Thats just what I needed to know, ill have to pick up another gas tube Thanks for the info.

I might just grab the short rail and run it until I can pick up another gas tube which will make it more secure. Thanks again.

Anytime that's why we are here..... I was asking the same questions at one point and time. And was kinda scared to do my conversion at one point also. But this Saiga has created a monster...

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.