Saiga Newbee - AK47 Top Cover Compatibility w/Saiga

am1c.jpg

Well I'm waiting to receive my new Saiga. So naturally I'm checking out the scope options available, etc.. I saw the above and was wondering if anybody has used this or something similar? A forum search didn't bring up anything. I believe my Saiga ships with a side scope mount. And if so, is it a standard AK style mounting point on the side of the receiver?

Secondly, (and I think I know the answer) is a Saiga ammunition sensitive (read this as Wolf or similar ammunition)? I would guess no.......

I need some education here on the finner points of the Saiga. I plan on using some style of red dot, but as yet unsure if I go Russian or domestic (so to speak) in design. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Forget that monstrosity!

Many here, like Cobra have gotten regular AL top covers to fit, but in this case, why bother? That one will never return to zero when removed and is way to tall and heavy, specially if you fill those rails to ever get a solid mount. Yes, ever with those two set screws in the rear. Just get a side mount if you want a scope on your S12, or better do a forward mount using a good rail, like the Chaos.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

Sure, it will work, but it will never hold a zero as well as the standard AK side rail, and yes the saiga mount is the AK standard, which you can put a rail on, easily, such as one like this, from Leapers

mnt-978-m.jpg

or there are beryl style top rails, such as these:

DSC01209.jpg

beryl%20white.JPG

Both solutions are vastly superior to the top cover rail.

Dont have any idea what you mean by sensitive, but i cant think of any way you could upset wolf ammo, so im guessing the answer is no.

am1c.jpg

Well I'm waiting to receive my new Saiga. So naturally I'm checking out the scope options available, etc.. I saw the above and was wondering if anybody has used this or something similar? A forum search didn't bring up anything. I believe my Saiga ships with a side scope mount. And if so, is it a standard AK style mounting point on the side of the receiver?

Secondly, (and I think I know the answer) is a Saiga ammunition sensitive (read this as Wolf or similar ammunition)? I would guess no.......

I need some education here on the finner points of the Saiga. I plan on using some style of red dot, but as yet unsure if I go Russian or domestic (so to speak) in design. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

As for Saiga ammo sensitivity, NOPE! Mine have shot Yugo surplus, Wolf FMJ, HP, and JSP, and also Barnaul FMJ, HP, and JSP. It eats everything you feed it. It is a real AK.

+1 on NO top cover mounts. There are more side mounts than you can shake a stick at, and ALL are better than the top cover mounts. The Beryl style are great, too.

Thanks to all for the info! It's now "T-10" days until I can start playing with my new Saiga. Looks like I can save the money on the "pos" top cover, too. I figured I was right on the ammo, but it never hurts to ask people who actually own one, to see if they have any quirks. Mine has "dimples" too. So I guess this will help keep the magazines stable in the mag well. Now I've gotta start looking for some surplus magazines etc. Oh Boy, more gun stuff!